Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Domain problems HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenk

Technical User
May 20, 2002
NZ
We have a user here that gets disconected after a while from the network.

He has to log out and back in to correct this.

The events on his PC are 1053, 1054 Source Usernv and 40961, 40960 Source LSASRV.

Looks to me like this might be Domain Controller related but no one else at this stage has this problem (touch wood).

We have just upgraded to Windows 2000 (only one more BDC to go)
Hope some one can help with this!.

Regards,

Sten

I am fighting the same thing on an XP / 2000 LAN. Only one PC is having this issue. There seem to be several things that can cause this, but the two bigist are NIC drivers loading slowly or late(update these) and DNS on the Domain DNS server, the PC must point to the local machine first.

Just a "shot-in-the-dark", but (never hurts)

Some of the updated service packs for Win2000/Win2000 Servers address the Usernv and LSASRV (will terminate session on Win2000 Server) events. Do each of you have your service packs up to date?

Oh, and forgive the intrusion if I stuck my nose in...[blush]

I have this problem too. All servers are 2000 and patched to date. 2000 clients are connecting normally but xp clients have usernv error. They also lose the file and print server plus event logs show that they cannot find the domain controller at startup - although users can logon!

Hello
I have the same problem.
There must be an explanation for this. I hav reinstalled xp on a local computer and cannot access my domainctrl.
But if I set primary dns server to local server and secondary to ISP I can connect to local server but not to Internet.
If I try to set forwarders on the dns server I get message: This is a root server so it cannot point to outside dns...

Does anyone have anything for me here?

Regards Luke of Norway

Hi to all,

I had the same problems, this was solved by deleting the WINS Database and cerate a new one.

Also another thing to check is add the DNS server in you'r DHCP server so the client will always have the latest DNS info.

God Created Earth and Heaven,
But she holds it with duckt tape

luke68,

The root server issue is because there is a "*" root definition that needs to be removed. See the FAQ link.

Domain logon issues with XP are discussed in the FAQ faq779-4017

Thanks for all help.
I deleted the root (.) definition on the dns server.
Added forwarding to external dns and
pointed the xp client to local dns.
Now I hope it will work all right.

Luke

I have had similar issues. This is not my area of expertise, but when I deleted lines out of the login scripts that referenced .vbs and .exe's all of our XP users were back in business.

This is probably not the case there, but thought it was important enough to mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back