Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Domain Machine: Logging on locally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonuteklists

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
I joined this XP Pro machine to the domain and after that I was not able to log on to the local machine as the administrator . This is a bit strange to me as when I have joined other XP machines to the domain, I was still able to login as the local administrator.
Anyways, I checked the "logon locally" policy in which "administrators" have the "logon locally" right.
What should I do. Please advice.
Thanks.

I would check out the Users section under Control Panel and if it does not list a local administrator account in there, add one on, set the password as you see fit then give it another shot. Does it act like theres one not there at all or is it acting like its the incorrect password.

Can you login via Safe Mode as the built-in Administrator and fix up your local user accounts?

Amazingly, what has happened was the user was trying to copy the profile from the local admin user (as he always logged in as the local administrator) and to the domain user. Normally, this is a 2 step process,
-copy profile
-moveuser
Which has been tested to work fine, but somehow in this case, it failed. When trying to copy the loval admin profile to the domain user profile (while logged in as domain admin), I guess the copying of profile failed, not only that the local admin account got deleted !!!!! How in the world can such a thing happen.
Well, I did create a few local admin accounts, but the questions still remains. Where did the user go wrond ??
Thanks.

As to what may have gone wrong, nothing surprises me about computers and users, see if there is anything in this type of thread?

Copy local profile to domain profile
thread779-822848

Copy User Profile
thread779-957534

Copying Profiles in XP?
thread779-1023629

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back