Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP DNS resolution issue through ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi23

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
US
I have ICS loaded on my main computer which is windows 2000 that connects to a cable modem. This machine connects to the internet fine.

I have an internal machine that runs XP Home and as of recently, I have not been able to get DNS names to resolve. I can ping the default gateway, the DNS servers, and even the IP for say " but I can't not ping the actual DNS name. I have tried uninstalling the network card and reinstalling, checked the services for DHCP and DNS to confirm they are enabled, used the winsock fix utility posted on this site, all to no avail.

Where could the problem lie?

I recently load Spybot and AdWare on the machines to clean things up. They clean out adware crap off your machine including reg entries, but I doubt this is the cause, as I have used it in the past.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Do an ipconfig /all and post the results here.

try to use nslookup command to troubleshoot it. if you get can't find the server or time out, check the tcp/ip settings and DNS. Since the server works fine, I am assuming this problem only happens on this machine, perpahs only this NIC.
For more tips or information, go to

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Here's what ipconfig /all has to say:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Trinity
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : crlsca.adelphia.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-47-EA-EE-B8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.143
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 8:05:07 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 8:05:07 PM

DNS settings are set on the IP settings for 192.168.0.1. I even tried to set them on the client as well. I tried doing an nslookup from the internal client, and get no connection, yet I can ping the DNS server fine. I obtained the DNS server entries by doing an ipconfig /all from the server connected to my cable modem.

Tonight, I just bypassed the whole ICS thing, I plugged the modem cable into the box having the trouble; that works fine. So it's something with the ICS stuff. I will look more at the links to see if I find anything else, but this is all very strange to me!

TIA!

I've taken a look at the sites, but none provide a solution to my problem. Any network gurus out there??

Can someone explain how I can ping the DNS server but I can't query it with nslookup? What could I be missing?

See as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Louis>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 24.52.223.219: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 24.52.223.218: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 24.52.223.219

>
C:\Documents and Settings\Louis>ping 24.52.223.219

Pinging 24.52.223.219 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 24.52.223.219: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=248
Reply from 24.52.223.219: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 24.52.223.219:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms
Control-C

Here's the solution: DON'T USE SUCKY ICS!!!

I went and bought a netgear 802.11g wireless router and poof no more problems. Save yourself a lot of time and headaches, and spend the money to get a router...it's well worth it!

Nope, tried that and just about everything else here short of rebuilding my system. While there is a wealth of information here, nothing seemed to help no matter how much sense it made.

I would like to add that somewhere in my research I read something about Ad-ware and SpyBot (ad removers) will remove something called new.net. It was around this time when those were removed from my system that DNS failed, so beware.

Hello Luigi23, I had the same problem as you, its been awhile and I don't have a clear memory as to what I did to fix it.

Some things you can try, change the IP of your server, removing the 0. I always assumbed that when a 0 is added into an ip it causes broadcasts.

example - put your server IP to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1

Also if you are using ICS built into windows you must carefully examine your firewall settings. If you enable the built in firewall (ICF) it will not automaticly configure itself to allow ICS in windows 2000 and XP, so after you enable ICS you have to make sure your firewall is allowing the correct traffic through ICF. One way to make sure its not your firewall is to temporarily disable ICF on both computers and see if your DNS resolving starts working. If it does you know the culprit.

Another item of note is whether your gateway computer (your win2000 box) is Windows 2000 server, if it is that makes a difference, as ICS does not work properly with windows 2000 server, you have to do some special modifications. Win2k server already loads a DNS service that grabs the ports ICS uses and you get a conflict.

Can you explain how you have your hardware set up? how many network cards, hubs, cable modem type, etc..?

A quick way you can get around this for now is to do an ipconfig /all at the command prompt on the machine that is connected to the internet. Note the DNS servers of your ISP, go back to the XP machine and manually type in those numbers instead of leaving it set to automatic. You XP should now resolve all domain type traffic.

Ok, Luigi, I've been working all night on the same problem, or at least it sounds almost identical, and I just solved it.

It basically involves lowering your MaxMTU setting on the client computer. Check out this page:

Now that you've glanced at that, I can tell you that there's an easier way to lower your MaxMTU on the client computer, without going through all the registry editing - just download Dr. TCP, from Admittedly, I couldn't figure out how to do part of the registry editing, (making sure a new D_WORD value is decimal, not hexidecimal), so I just used Dr. TCP and it worked fast!

If you want the quick fix, download the Windows XP service pack 1, which fixes the problem automatically. But I don't recommend this, as Microsoft has also admitted that there are flaw(s) with SP1 which slow performance. Baaaah, down with automatic updates!

Let me know if this helps :)

My Computer (XP Profesional & Win98 Dual boot)Did the Exact Same thing I scanned The PC With Ad-Awarewhile booted ito XP removed New.net, Ezula, and 1 or two other Spy ware Ad softwares When I rebooted I lost DHCP & DNS in both OS's. I tried to put in a static IP, Gatway, and DNS server then I could ping the gateway and DNS server but still no name resolution. I managed to Restore Win98 by rebuilding TCP/IP ie. Remove Dialup networking & network cards and Delete Winsock aand winsock2 from registry but still have not Managed to restore XP I have deleted the card and network and reinstalled I am going to investigate rebuilding th TCP/IP stack in XP but I am not sure if this is done the same as win98
Please post your final resolution if I fix Mine I post also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back