Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP displays an open folder at start up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoblak

Instructor
Oct 23, 2001
US
I have been using XP pro at work. Each day when I boot, I get a open explorer window on my desktop (for Microsoft Highlighter).

I just installed HP home at home and I am getting a similar problem with another open explorer window on my desktop just after boot. This window is for my ATI display drivers.

While it is simple enough to close the windows and get down to business, I would appreciate any knowledge of how to stop this annoying greeting whenever I boot.

Has anyone got any ideas? Is it possible to boot up to a clear desktop?

These explorer windows are not open when I shut down.

linney,

Thank you very much for the check list. It turns out that one of my registry keys needed quotes around it. Problem solved!

OMG thank you SMAH that had been bugging the hell out of me for longer than I could remember!!

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that it was due to a related app running at startup.

To be more specific, I had installed Ahead Nero 6 (CD/DVD app) and started getting a Explorer window displaying a Nero directory (er...folder). On every reboot, the folder reappeared. I finally found a file named Nerocheck.exe in the MSCONFIG | STARTUP window and when I unchecked this app, the window stopped appearing. Of course I now have to try to milk the info from Nero about why this happened.

The point of this is thread is that you may not find a window with the exact name in MSCONFIG | STARTUP, but you might find something related to the window and should try booting without that app.

Shinny

I also had problems after installing ATI control panel with ATI explorer window popping up on startup. Thread was very helpful. Fix: regedit HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run with reg string pointing to atiptaxx.exe was without quotes. This application apparently displays the ATI banner in taskbar. After putting in quotes no further problems. Thanks for info in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back