Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Desktop Taskbar doubles in size when Quicklaunch added 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scallosa

ISP
Mar 7, 2002
US
The taskbar on the desktop recently doubled in size. Attempting to resize would cause the cursor to form the adjusting arrow, but had no effect on resizing.
I then unchecked Show Quicklaunch and this allowed me to resize the taskbar to it's normal size.
However, with Quicklaunch checked, the taskbar cannot be resized nor can the icons or currently running program icons can be moved or resized, leaving it twice it's normal width. I tried checking and unchecking Lock the Taskbar with no change and it is now off.
Check boxes which are checked are:
Keep the Taskbar on Top of other Windows,
Group Similar Taskbar Buttons,
Show the Clock and
Hide Inactive Icons
although I have tried unchecking them all with no change to the problem.
Compaq Presario running XP Home.
Thank you.

Are there any unusual toolbars enabled on the taskbar?

From another forum.

" From Tony M 02/09 (20:46 GMT) Msg# 14466

This works for me and I hope I can explain it properly.

As already suggested, unlock the task bar. I assume your quick launch bar is located on top of the "open program" icons location on the taskbar. You should see a row of "vertical dots" to the left of each row of icons.

Now look for the "vertical dots - 4 dots & 3 dots" to the left of the "open program" icons. Should be the bottom row. Left click your mouse on the dots and drag them to the right of the quick launch icons.

This should get you back to a single row task bar."

Taskbar Repair tool.

System Restore might be able to get you back to some point before all this trouble?

Those sizing dots no longer move.
They are dead, dead, dead.
There is nothing unusual enabled on the taskbar.
Thanks.

How does it look from Safe Mode? What about another user login in Normal Mode?

Did you have any luck with the Taskbar repair tool?

This problem is related to Quicklaunch, but I don't know how. Somehow I managed to shrink the taskbar, I believe by unchecking Quicklaunch. Then when I checked the Quicklaunch checkbox in taskbar properties, the taskbar immediately doubled in width.
Which is very strange, as I've always had Quicklaunch on and never had a problem.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm guessing that the Quicklaunch icons are large. Assuming they are, you have the "view" option in Quicklaunch set for "Large Icons" and you want to set it to "Small Icons." Place your cursor at either end of the Quicklaunch bar--just outside of the icon buttons--and right-click. The top menu item should be View, with options as above.

You're right; this is an almost completely useless option, but it's available in XP!

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back