Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP desktop hangs after login - but system works fine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblitz

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
GB
After either clicking my profile name(welcome screen) or hitting enter(login window) XP proceeds to try and load my desktop settings, it gets as far as the background wallpaper then hangs. I can access the entire computer system via task manager, i can run all programs, everything seems fine, i can even play games!!!

I am accessing this site via broadband connection through task manager now. The only problem is that.....i want my desktop back. I'm on the verge of running a clean install on the system, i dont know what else to do.

I have tried playing around with msconfig, but with everything in startup tab turned off or on, it still doesnt make any difference.

I am using an Advent pc(urgh), P4 2.4ghz, 512mb, 40gb, geforce4, blah blah blah.

Anyone got any ideas????

Anyone???

One possibility is that your Profile is corrupted, that would explain some of this behavior. I am seeing this happen more and more often on XP and 2K systems. You could do a Google Groups search on the terms Profile corrupt XP, etc.

AwardB

Looking in eventviewer migh give you some hints.

In reply to 'awardb':
I don't think it is a corrupt profile as all profiles on the computer suffer from the same problem, sort of. I had 5 profiles before this problem happened. All of these profiles (both admin and limited) suffer from hanging desktops. I created 2 new profiles after the problem occured for the first time. One admin and one limited. The admin profile will not load fully, same as the original 5, the limited profile loads up fine, and the desktop loads in full. So im confused as hell.

In reply to 'SYAR2003':
Do you know where i can find the eventviewer executable?
please remember that i can only access programs through task manager, even though i can access stuff through the limited profile i set up as mentioned above, i don't think , with limited priviledges, i can view and alter the information i might need to.

btw - when booting in safe mode, then into any of my profiles, xp loads up just fine, the entire desktop loads and there seems to be no problem. The only reason i can imagine for the hanging not happening in safe mode is that there is something trying to load with the desktop, on all admin and previously set up limited profiles, that is failing and hanging the desktop from loading fully on a normal boot, could this be adware/spyware as 'linney' suggests????

Useful consoles to bring up from task manager

Eventviewer:
eventvwr.msc

Computer management:(includes most of management)
compmgmt.msc

Device Manager:
devmgmt.msc

Registry:
regedit.exe

Group policy editor:
gpedit.msc

I think it may be Spyware or Adware, but I'm bias aren't I?

You can access Msconfig via the Run box and see what is starting at Startup and then you can stop them one at a time until you find the cause of your problem.

What happens when you start
explorer.exe from the task managers run box.

i have encountered this same problem, did you ,mrblitz, ever find a solution? ive found a way to get xp "working"- when you boot up your computer and when you log onto an account and your background comes up- set your computer to hibernate- then when you "wake" it up the icons and toolbar should be there- it worked for me. but, that is really annoying to do, so does someone have a solution to this problem? ive check for viruses, spyware, ad-aware, adn ive done system restore (2 days back, should i do it farther?)- and the problem isnt fixed still. well, please let me know how to fix this! much thanks in advance.

wakefreak

I am having the same problem almost. The only thing I remember doing before it started freezing was downloading an update for Avast Antirvirus. Then things got worse and worse. I cannot even access the Run and most times task manager will not come up. I have a resource meter and it shows over 90% of the cpu is being used by something. No viruses.

I created another partition on my second drive with Acronic OS Selector (has partition manager built in). It works out of "DOS" before the gui. (it is a dos gui). Then I reinstalled Windows XP Pro on my second drive. I can go back and access anything on my C: drive but if I try to boot into the Windows XP Pro there it freezes. It will go in in safe mode but not sure what to do to solve problem. At least I have a running machine but address book in OUtlook etc. I do not seem to be able to import because I cannot export it from the old Outlook first.
So temporary solution.

sound like you may have a trojan. i havnt had any problems with my cpu getting "overloaded". try doing a scan on i think its the best site for online scans, detects both viruses and trojans. give it a try see what comes up. I still need help with my problem (which is poseted above, please read and let me know if anyone has a solution. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back