Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP default printer (profiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vansplatter

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
US
When setting up a network printer in XP pro under a profile or when logged in to local PC the printer is not available to other profiles on the PC. This is different from what I am used to. How can I set a default printer and make it available to all users that log on to the PC? Changing security doesn’t affect the availability only access once established. Hints or Help appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Van-

What kind of a network are you running XP under, a win2000 domain? Are you running roaming profiles?

I just created a printer on a XP box as local Administrator, then logged in as a local Power User and the printer is still there, maybe installing the printer under Admin might help.

Also, check under Group Policy editor (gpedit.msc) and go under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Printers and make sure all those settings are kosher.

I am having the same problem as Vansplatter, even when I set it up as Admin. It seems you have to log in as local Admin, install the printer and any network settings, and then it's there for all users. It kind of defeats the purpose of adding printers through Active Directory, but it's the only way I can get it to work.

I believe that if you are using Active Directory to publish printers, then you need to tell it on the server side to publish to the computer, not to the user. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't have a win2000 AD box in front of me.

Thanks for the replies,

I am running the XP boxes under an NT domain. I have set the printers up as local admin and as domain admin and as a user with admin privledges as still no joy. Only the profile that sets it up can see it. Other than this I have very little trouble with XP. What gives?

Thanks again,

Van-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back