Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP critical update is giving me Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

serhino320

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
I came in yesterday and 4 of my lab PC's that received the latest batch of critical updates were in a continual loop of rebooting. I had held off on installing service pack 2 until the semester was over (I work at a university). I had one PC that had not installed the latest critical updates so I went to the Windows Update site and looked to see what was scheduled to be installed. There were 5 or 6 security updates that the system needed and so I started installing them one by one to see if I could crash the system on purpose. I made it through 2 of the critical updates with reboots and then I came to KB840987. I installed it and it prompted me to reboot. Whammo! That was the one. Now this PC is playing along with the others in the rebooting loop. For a very brief split second after the windows xp splash screen comes up during the bootstrap process, I can see a blue screen of death. It happens so fast I cannot read it before the reboot occurs. I read a little bit on M$ website about issues with Windows NT 4.0 machines and this update, but it didn't seem to pertain to my systems. Windows XP Pro SP1, P-II 400MHz,256MB RAM and 8 GB hard drives. I know these are not beastly power desktops, but they were working just fine for what we use them for (that being mainly MS Office, internet and email.) Anyone experience this anomoly that may have a suggestion prior to me trying to re-install the whole system?

Thanks All!

Have you tried booting into safe mode and doing a system restore to before you installed the updates?

I cannot get into safe mode. I can get to the setup menu, but when I select safe mode, it then tries to enter safe mode, but it ends up just re-booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back