Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP crash restore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanchia

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
SG
Hi all,

I am using XP pro SP1, in my last session, i dl the lastest patch from microsoft and installed adobe acrobat reader. and when i tried to shut down, my pc rebooted instead of shutting down, and it prompted me that i didn't shut down my pc properly and gave me few options to boot up my XP,

safe mode , normal mode, last good configuration, ...

no matter what i choose, XP will not start but reboot again.

I know XP has a restore point thingy, is there anyway i can do to restore it back ? thanks

alan

just to add on

i tried booting by safe mode and it runs till it goes to this line that contains sisagp and it reboots again

i tried the last known good configuration, it gives me a blue screen, but before i can read it, it reboots.

The normal boot is similar to the last known good configuration boot.

thanks alot
alan

I think you have two viable options seeming that you can't start XP.

You could try and repair it using the Recovery Console.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a laymans version of Q307545 in simple language.

Failing that option you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back