Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP clock runs a half hour to fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patje

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
BE
Hi there,

I've got a realy strange problem. The clock on my computer runs with half hour time diverence (I hope i explain this right)
When I set the timezone (GMT+1,Brussels,...) on my computer
there is a difference of half an hour between my computer next to it (also with XP with the same timezone)
for ex.: It is now 8:55AM, but on my computer it is 9:25AM
(So I can go home an half our early :))
But my boss wants it fixed ;)

Thanks for your help!

P.

Some possibilities:

The CMOS battery is running low?

One or both of the Computers are getting their time sync'ed by XP and are picking up the incorrect data.

Your boss has been tricking you for years just to get an extra 30 minutes work out of you for free and is now angry that you have cottoned on?

I reckon it is probably the 3rd one but the first two are worth a look.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

huh . double-click the clock bottom right and set the clock to the correct time?
And if it comes back, you may need to check the CMOS battery.

Veel plezier

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hola,

well first off, when the computer is a half hour faster, there is no extra 30 work to be had out of him, at that stage he would leave a half hour earlier from work...

second, is the said computer hooked up to a network? is it getting time over the network (as mentioned earlier that it is getting the wrong time somewhere)... in that case you need to check the timeserver, or turn it off (look under Services, Windows Timeserver deaktivate here) and reset your time...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

patje... Try downloading Demension 4. It's a clock tool that will reset your computer clock at any time frame you wish, in any time zone. And if you wish, you can reset your clock every minute! All is done in bkg, in about half a second. I never know when mine is resetting, but it's always right.
download is available from

Dick

|========================|
I sure wish there was a way
to receive the best teaching, [smarty]
without having to go through
some of the worst experiences![ponder]
|========================|

a tool to set the clock?
now really, I want my PC to perform, so any 'tool' to adjust my clock for even 1 second is overkill and a waste of CPU time.
For a central server, ok, I can understand, but not for a desktop.
If there are more then 4 icons in my systray I already freak out.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
How Do You Get Great Answers To your Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hello Me again,

I've checked the bios and there was the time also with an half hour faster...
I've set the right time in the bios and seved the new settings. The computer reboots and start with the correct time! JoyJoy!
BUT!!!
When I shut down the computer and restart it after a while, the time is an half hour fast again.
The computer is hooked to a network but I already disabled the option to synchronise your time in xp!
I would try the tool, but I agree with marcs41 so I'm going to try all my options first!

Thank you!

P.

If in doubt, disconnect from the network when you set the clock and reboot.
If the clock stays ok then, it picks it up from the server or so (which you also may want to check).
You could disable the Windows Time service of course.
Also to check: double click the clock bottom right, go to the Internet Time tab, and disable or adjust it.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hello marcs41,

your last tip did the trick!
When I wasn't connected to the network
the time was ok, but as soon as I rebooted with
a network connection the clock was a half hour fast
again!
So I reset the clock on the server and now the time is
right again :)

Thank you all for your time ;) an help!

P.

You're welcome - graag gedaan - avec plaisir ;-)

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Ja lap, zit ik hier mijn beste engels boven te halen :)

jaja, dat moet ook he, het is internationaal, af en toe een lijntje kan geen kwaad maar we posten in het Engels, anders gooien ze er u af.

Trans: yes, site communicatiosn are in English, an occasional line in your own language is accepted, but we don't post in other tehn English.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back