Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Clients Restart slow off of a Windows 2000 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmz740

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2005
US
I recently took over a small network from an individual who was only with the company a short time. I am down to one of my final obstacles in trying to get this thing back in order. I have twelve XP clients running off of a server running Windows Server 2000. They start and or restart as slow as well let's just say slow. No matter what we have changed it has not made much difference. We have modified startup on the clients, we have changed the host files to reflect the server IP address etc.. most of the things you would think would slow the process down. The clients are free of virus and adware. I am just at a loss why machines with the kind of capabilty that these have are so slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The settings enkrypted quoted in previous messages have been found (see below), I used gpedit and enabled the setting, it is still relatively slow at startup and shutdown.

3. Look for the heading "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and set it to ENABLED.

Finally figured out the snap in recomended above, no difference. When you put a clock on the client machines, it is still the same slow start and shutdown.

Are you set up with roaming profiles?

Do you have Folder Synchronization turned on at the workstation?

These may affect your startup and shutdown speed.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

What about roaming profiles?

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

Getting out of control. Check out
Speed up Network Browsing
faq96-5717
Just a thought.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
Tickety-boo all.

Deleted the registry key and it made no difference.

did you try any of the trouble shooting steps in the two links I put above on the DNS?

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

OK... In your original post you said you were dinking with hosts files... if you are running a windows 2000 domain with DNS and all XP machines, you shouldn’t be using host files. That could be your problem. Also, just because you can ping the server by name, does not mean that DNS is working properly. Try pinging like this "ping -a 192.168.0.1" or whatever the IP address is for your server. When it responds, you should look to see if it resolved the "DNS" name and not just the name of the server. Meaning, it should respond in a format such as "machinesname.domain.com" instead of just Machines name. If it doesn’t respond with the domain name, you probably have an issue with the host files that you have been working with on each machine. Good luck!

"Experince That Counts

schase,

The problem you referenced sounds right on the money, I am getting the same server errors as in the thread you referenced. I will be back to work Thursday I will see if the server DNS is enabled. I may need a little help with that procedure. He references zones, then never mentions it again. I am not sure about how that plays into this. On the other hand, if we don't need the host files, should we delete them from the client machines? I am somewhat confused on that front. I will also try the ping -a192.168.X.X and see what I get for a response. I do know that the server IP address and domain name are the last lines of the svchost file. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. We will work this thing out.

Hockeman is on the money; I have seen this on several client sites and it is almost always DNS. Do not use HOSTS files; get your machines setup to use DNS hosted from your server.

Or they on a domain or just workgroup? I am assuming that they are domain PC's. Make sure you have DNS entries set under the configuration for Local Area Network on each host or preferably have all of your clients set to DHCP and pass the clients the DNS addressess that way. Do not pass the clients external DNS addressess (ie your ISP's DNS server), the workstations need to have your DNS server (your window server probably) as their DNS server of choice.

To tell if your DNS is setup on a client, click start, click run and enter nslookup, it will open by telling you the default server name and address that the client is using (it needs to be the internal server). You would be able to type your domain in there (ie company.com) and it will return the IP address of your server.

As Hockeman said, good luck.....

if the DNS settings turn out to be ok, try disabling the WebClient service.

Dunno if it has been the result of an windows update but we've seen a ton of machines that take an age to apply the computer settings lately, and knowing the things like DNS e.t.c. are ok, disabling this service has worked 99.9% of the time.

Gurner

Ok, back to work today and here is where I am. I have found that the server IP address is listed as the alternate DNS server. I have used the ping command referenced above ping -a 192.xxx.xxx.xx and it returned a fairly normal looking response. It did not return a response with the server name. Should I change the server to the preferred DNS? I guess I am still not sure what to do with the host files on the clients. They are configured with the server IP address, could the problem be that the server is the secondaty rather than the primary DNS. The primary DNS on the server is set to the ISP. I know this thing is getting really long, I really appreciate the input.

if the server is running DNS than yes point the client to the server.

Actually what you want is something like this. Router or whichever device gives out DHCP to point to the servers address that has the DNS Service running on it.

In the DNS Server settings, set the forwarders to be your ISP DNS.

All clients should just get the DNS automatically from the DHCP service.

for hosts file - the only line I have in there is this.

127.0.0.1 localhost

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Ok, after further review, I checked all the client machines and the host file that I have assumed that was the host and lmhost file say they are examples. Much like what schase said above. The files or should I say examples all have 127.0.0.1 in them and the gentleman who was here before me added a line below this with our server IP address. The path for these files are in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Is this the actual host and lmhost files, or, are they what they say, examples. The clients are all set with the DNS to our ISP's Ip address. So... should I change the Prefereed and Secondary IP address on the clients to our server IP?, and if so should I set the preferred IP on the server to itself or toward the ISp's Ip? This is getting more confusing the farther we go.

yeah those are the hosts and lmhosts that you are referencing.

Where do you get DHCP from?

the clients should either obtain DNS automatically, or specify your DNS Server's IP.

the DHCP server (or router) should also point to your DNS Server.

your physical server's nics should be set up like the clients.

The only place to put your ISP's DNS is in the DNS Server's forwarders.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back