Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP clients disconnect from network 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Interesting issue.

I occasionally have Windows XP machines that drop their connection to the network.

You can ping any other machine from these units, yet, you cannot ping these clients.

I have run netdiag and it reports no problems. I have had some success removing and adding these units back to the domain. I also have a GPO that forces XP clients to connect to the network versus using cached information.

Invariably, this issue continues to surface. I have a mixture of Compaq PCs and Dell PCs. This has never happened on any of my Windows 2000 clients.

I also have a GPO that forces XP clients to connect to the network versus using cached information."

This GPO?: Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

Or something else?

There is not enough information here. When the XP clients drop:

. What is the error message the user receives?
. What does Event Viewer show?
. Are there red X's on shares?
. Is this a Workgroup or a Domain. What is the server OS if a Domain?
. Say more about the architecture of the network. All 10/100 mbs clients, set to Auto, all going through a single (or cascaded) switch or hub?

What is the error message? None. Some clients are set to cache files offline and the status indicates "offline".

What does the event viewer show? Occasional Userenv errors.

Are there any red X's on shares? I never see red x's

Is this a workgroup or domain? A domain.

Architecture: 10/100 MBs clients mostly set to Auto, all going through Cisco Catalyst switches.

Thanks bcastner.

. Start your investigation with this:

If you could, I am still curious as to the GPO settings, Quote from above:

"I also have a GPO that forces XP clients to connect to the network versus using cached information."

This GPO?: Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

. And a bit of homework:

I apologize for the questions, but there are many possibilities here.

Best,
Bill Castner

dhanley,

Lets affirmatively assert control of the mapped shares:

In your existing logon script:

net use * /delete /Persisent:No
{now your drive mapping, in this form:}
net use H: //server/share_name /Persistent:No /Y >nul
... etc...

I am having the same problem. Did you ever get an answer? For me, it's only happening on laptops. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not, but I figured I'd share.

I've tried disabling the autodisconnect on the server, but this didn't fix the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Are these off ghosted images? I've had similar issues that were solved when completely uninstalling the network card driver and downloading the latest driver. Another good test is temporarily put in another new network card in a free slot and see if the same problem happens.

Aspires.

Yes, the problem is happening on laptops primarily.

And yes, I have autodisconnect disabled on the server.

Hello,
Anybody found a solution for this problem ?
I have the same with a laptop and I am desperatly searching a solution.
Thanks

I'm still trying to find a solution :-(

They are not ghosted images, but they are images from a RIS server, so it's close. I tried to uninstall the network card driver and install the latest from the manufacturer's site - no luck.

I guess I'll keep trying......

1. This is an issue primarily with laptops.
2. 10/100 Mb cards and Cisco catalyst 3500 switches.
3. Primarily an issue on laptops but occurs on desktops.
4. I can solve it for a time, yet, it it reoccurs.
5. On clean machines (new installs) the laptops work fine.
6. No red Xs on the network shares.
7. Microsoft has a hotfix that did not work (KB810907).
8. Event IDs: 1058, 1030, 1054 respectively.
9. Autodisconnect is disabled.
10. GPO is enforced.

I have a very similar problem on our laptops. We use Panasonic Toughbooks that are connected on 100Mb network in our win2k3 domain.
These are all created from an image, I did reinstall NIC drivers and still problem. There are about 150 Toughbooks in use on a network of ~8,000 but maybe 10% lose the network drive. I know they lose the drive becouse there is a dataload program that they run which sends information to a DB but also creates a log file on the mapped drive. I see the data they uploaded but the log files aren't there, so I know they have connection.
Again, all the machines are created from same image, but only about 15 or so experience this problem. Sorry for the long post, but this issue is vary annoying. Thanks.

Some thoughts:

. The blame for the problem seems equal parts Intel drivers and Cisco Catalyst switches. See this discussion (read the entire thread)
. As far as the OS is concerned, the following may or may not make a difference:

Start, Run, regedit
Go to:

HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters

Add a new value if not there:
Value : KeepConn
REG_DWORD 1 to 65535 seconds
Default: 600 (10 minutes)
The value of KeepConn specifies the maximum amount of time that a connection can be left idle.

Set to: 65535 decimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back