Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client used directly on domain and remotely via T.Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

One of our users is getting a new laptop (XP tablet PC edition) whose old laptop had WinME. The user used to log directly on to our domain (Windows 2000) while at the facility, and also logged on via Terminal Services on a dial-up connection while traveling. The login info has been the same for both environments. The Terminal Services session is incredibly locked down and only 2 programs are allowed (a database program and Outlook). The organizational unit security settings had no affect on the user when logged in onto the network directly while at the facility becuase WinME isn't affected by it.

However, now that the user has a new XP machine, the security settings implemented in the organizational unit ARE affecting and restricting the user's login straight onto the domain while in the office.

What can I do to retain the same login information, but keep the environments different? I don't want to remove all the restrictions on the Terminal Services session becuase the user is logging on to the server (obviously) and I don't want them accidentally doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Shawn

Is this an AD Domain?
Have you made a computer registation?

Yes this is an Active Directory Domain with W2k standard servers. What to you mean by making a computer registration?

As a first cut at the issue, the User is qualified on the domain but his laptop is not.

If I understand you correctly, the computer is in fact listed under Computers in the Active Directory tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back