Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client to W2K ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstcomm

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
Is there an issue using XP home as a Client to W2K Pro as the host with ICS on a dial-up? I was using W98 and also used W2K as clients to the same host. The internet connection sharing has not changed. Now I am using XP home, I can get to files on the host and I can use the shared printer on the host W2K machine but cannot get to the Internet share. All the docs I've read refer to XP as the host. This should be simple, what's up? XP is a new beast in my zoo. I tried using the network wizard; it asked me to put my xp disk in the other machine, then on the other machine (W2K) it said this only works on w98 and xp. Is Microsofts XP guy's at war with the W2K guy's?

It should be straightforward. Assuming standard ICS setup on 2k (ie, its acting as DHCP server, with its LAN NIC set to 192.168.0.1 - activated by ticking the 'enable internet sharing for this connection box' on the ISP dial-up properties sharing tab), you shouldn't actually need to do anything on XP (IP should be set to pick up address automatically by default - unless you've changed this. If you have, change it back to automatic) as you've obviously got a network connection in place.

Thanks for the responce. I've set it a couple of ways. Used a router wiht dhcp enabled, removed the router window set the IP, set static IP's. In all configs I could use the shared printer and access all files as needed. I just can't get XP to find the internet share on the W2K dial up (just for the record the share is enabled and did work previously with a 98 and another machine running W2K). I figured it would be as simple as before, just plug and go. I spoke with someone that said they could never get xp to find an internet share with W2K either. They gave up and installed xp on the host and got it to work that way. I would prefer to find a solution.

It will not work if DHCP is enabled on the router.
The ICS host machine should be handling DHCP duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back