Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client Is not Logging into both Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSUBeavers

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a Netware 4.11 and 6.0 server on our school network.

A Dell Laptop with XP Pro will boot and only see the Netware 6.0 server. When I click the Advanced tab on the client login screen and then click the Tree button all it will find is the Netware 6 server. I had specified in the properties earlier that the Netware 4.11 server was the preferred server.

I can log into the Netware 6 server with no problems. If I unplug the Netware 6 server and reboot the laptop I can then login to the Netware 4.11 server.

When I plug the Netware 6 server back into the network the laptop stays connected to the Netware 4.11 server as if nothing happened.

I need the XP Client to see BOTH servers and login to both of them.

The network currently is connecting via IPX.

If there is anyone who can help I would be indebted to your kindness. Thanks!

What version of the NetWare client have you installed onto your laptop?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
CNE Network+ Experience
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple - Bay Area, CA

bit of a mix 4.11 and 6

in the ipx setting on laptop what settings are made for the ipx - is it auto are are you specifing frame type and address

is ipx set as default

is ip on client

dont you think xp sucks big time - 2000 or red hat is a far better client

I have tried Novell Client for XP ver 4.83 and 4.90 with same results, both on a laptop with Win2000Pro and another laptop with XP Pro, also a desktop with XP Home. Same results.

When I installed the Clients I chose CUSTOMIZE install and specified an IP / IPX install.

IPX settings on the laptops are set to AUTO.

set the frame type and address
dont leave it on auto

check on server with config to see what frame type
probably 802.2 may may not be

I'm working on the Win2K laptop and Novell Client 4.90 and have installed ONLY IPX. I can't find where to specify frame type or address.

I checked the server config and it is using 802.3 and SNAP.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. At this point I have discovered that changing the FRAME TYPE from AUTO to 802.3, will let me log into the 4.11 server with no problems. Change it back to AUTO and it can login to the Netware 6 server. However I can login to Netware 6 but I can not do any MAP commands in the login script. So I check out all the folders but not map to them.

I will try however the 4.83SP2 patch E client. Thanks for the tip.

It sounds like your network addresses are different on each server rather than matching. ie: if you are running 802.2 on both systems, the network address needs to be the SAME on both servers. This places them in the SAME logical network.

-Mike

Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

The Novell client is also defaulting to the frame type 802.2, remember way back when Novell changed the frame type default from 802.3 to 802.2 with the 4.12 release of Netware I think. I believe that the client is also defaulting to 802.2 which probably adds to some of your difficulties.

Frederick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back