Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client horribly slow on Windows 2000 server/domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTVicki

MIS
Nov 4, 2002
US
I have a new Windows 2000 server which I'm not perfectly in tune with. I have about 5 Win98 pc's which have no problem logging on, etc. I have one XP client which is horribly slow. Logon takes about 5 minutes, anytime you click on something that is remotely network related, the computer does nothing for about 5 minutes. Any clues? If I don't logon to the server, it is reasonably fast to respond, but if logged on, anything you click on is slow or hanging.

I've put on a static IP address, I've added IPX/SPX just to give it another protocol to use. I turned off DNS on the 2000 server...and it IS running Active Directory..can't think of what else you might want to know.

Please help!!
-Vicki Summers

XP Pro or home. Even Pro has been known to have networking issues. Home has NO networking support. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

It could be that your profiles include "My Documents" which results in the download and update of these documents every time you log on and off.

If it's just one machine, you can move you "My Documents" to a different folder. What I did as a temporary fix is created a folder on the local machine called "My Docs" directly on the C: drive. I moved the contents of My Documents to that folder. I then created a shortcut to My Docs and put it in My Documents. Since a shortcut is very small it doesn't slow down the log on.

On the server, I did the same thing. This is only a temporary fix for me, I'm looking into redirecting the My Documents folder on the network. You might want to look into that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back