Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Client getting disconnected from File server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
IE
Hi,
We have recently rolled out XP. It runs netware 4.81 SP2.
Basically some of the PCs in the environment losetheir connection to a particular server after a certain amount of time or after the machine locks.
When the user unlocks the machine they get a "drive is not available" error. However the drives connected to a newer Zenworks server remain connected. A reboot seems to be the only option. Its is only happening a few machines.
Any idea what the issue could be? Let me know if there are more details needed and I will provide them.
Kippy.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Are there any errors on the affected server console?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

No, no errors appear on the server.
I have narrowed it down to a software issue, as the NIC seems fine(otherwise it would disconnect from both servers).

Hi

I had some problems years ago with NIC card going into sleep mode and loosing conection to the Server. We turned off the Power saving Mode for the NIC and all was OK. I think from memory they were Acer PC's and they had a problem on the Motherboard with a certain revision, they ended up swapping out the Motherboard for the whole site.

Good Luck

David CNE

How are your network connections setup? Are the switch ports forced or left at auto negotiate? Likewise with the PC config and also the server config?

Hi,
The switches are forced to 10mb half duplex, as are the NICS on the PC's.
The server NICS are set to 100mb full dublex.

Are you saying both the server and the server switch ports are forced to 100Mb Full Duplex? Please can you also detail your version (including SP level) of NetWare.

Thx

Using Novell 4.83 SP2
Yes, the server and server switch is set to 100 full.

No, not your Novell Client version, your NetWare server version...

Sorry,
Novell Netware 5.1, no service pack.

I have the same problem, trying to solve for one week!! But no success :( I've tried with client 4.9 but it works even worse. I have no sleep mode for NIC, nothing, but still same problem. Same hw configuration with Win98se works perfectly. Any news or help for this problem?

Thanks!

I would apply SP6 for NetWare and the turn file caching off as that (in my experience) has caused drive mappings on W2k/XP to drop off like this.

You could also try turning off file caching on the NetWare Client of the affected machine(s) if you do not want to apply SP6 to your server. The setting can be found in the Novell Client properties, Advanced Settings section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back