Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP client conectivity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

selinis

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
CA
Hi!

recently we change our nt server OS with win2000 server.
We have also some HP workstations with windows XP professional as OS.Joining the XP clients to the domain it was a piece of cake,it was possible to browse any computer's shared files.After a period of time (10,15 minutes maybe..) it was imposible to do the same operation on the network. When trying to browse o computer on the network neighbourhood it appears this message: "\\computer_name is not accesible.You might not have permission to use resource.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions. The network path was not found."
Can anybody tell me what is happening? Any help will be grately apreciated. Thanks!

Interesting. But let's analyze wat is happen.

Once your computer joins to the domain, it will have an account there, and Domain Admins will be member of the local Administrators, and Domain Users member of the Users local group.

Then, accessing a resource require assigning of privileges. Also there should be defined resources. First, define shares on those computers. You are saying something about "shared files". Should be shared folders. Check the rights of the share eventually on the NTFS level (if you have NTFS).

Browsing Network Neigh. also is a tricky thing. Is based by default on NetBIOS name resolution. Funny, is that that time, of 15 minutes is the time for synchronization of the browser service databse. But normally if you have some problems with browser ervice, then you would not see some computers in Net.Neigh. or none of them.

So, try to check the above ideas.
Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

It is obvious that the provided information was incomplete and I'll try to update some facts.
First, I'm logged on to the domain with a user_name which can be found in Active directory.The user is member of "domain users".
Of course, it's about shared folders.But even there's no such a share ,browsing that computer will still "show" something like "Printers and faxes".I installed netbios protocol on the client computer and the message with "Contact administrator" there is no more.Instead, there is a window with user name and password for accesing the computer on the network.It's like I'm logged on local account if u can picture that. If i provide domain_name\administrator with admin password (of domain..) then i pass "the gate".There is no special policy on any computer on the network ("Everybody" can acces the computer is a setting in the security tab of a local disk..) and I still don;t see why I cannot browse a computer on the network...

Interesting - I have the same or similar problem with my XP Pro client on a 2000 domain.

I had attributed my problem to being on a laptop -
(some power management issue)
but I was starting to doubt this.

I can log in as a priv'd account or standard account and I use ScriptLogic to map drives. If I access a share immediately and use it regualrly - I can access it all day - or so it seems. If I leave a share "idle" after 15 minutes or so, I cannot get to it.

I also use Hyena to manage some systems and if I do not start the program and access the user accounts shortly after logging in - It fails to connect to the active directory - if I show the users immediately - then it works fine.

I am using a compaq laptop. I have not noticed browsing problems however - just share and "permissions" problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back