Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP & Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyec

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
US
anyone having problems with using Citrix?

am i overlooking some firewall setting?

Need quite a lot more info on this. What problems you are having would be a good start.
Rough guess.
Printing or Connection?
The licencing for Xp pc's is different than for 2k / Win9x
Not really my area I'm afraid, but if you supply a lot more info, I'm sure someone maybe able to help.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

No, I have the ICA client running on dozens of computers with XP. Unless we're supposed to guess your problem, is the problem installing or using the program? If its a usability issue, do you have the latest version? Have you turned off the XP firewall? Can any clients connect using XP on your network? How about non-xp clients? More info please.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

ok, the client software installed flawlessly, however when i tred to connect it returns an error saying that no server was found.

now when i click on the Outlook application it wants to download a file!

running ZA Pro and gave the application permissions to access the internet & trusted zones.

So is this just your computer you are asking about? I asked several questions that went unanswered...

So, you enter the IP address of your terminal server, and it can't find it? Have you tried removing zone alarm? As for your outlook issue, you didn't provide the exact message, so I have no clue what that is. Please provide answers to all questions asked, or it is hard for us to help :)

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

i am trying to install/connect to a Citrix server from another site so my wife can check her Outlook email from our home PC.

do not use XP firewall.

Okay, so the way I'm reading it, you are trying to use citrix to connect to another computer, so that you can access outlook on that computer. You are stating you cannot do this. However, you then state Outlook is asking you to download a file? I'm confused. Aside from that, I still have several questions that have not been answered.

1. You are entering the IP address of your terminal server in your Citrix client?
2. The server you are trying to connect to, is it running Citrix Metaframe Server?
3. Have you tried removing Zone Alarm?

Matt J.

1. You are entering the IP address of your terminal server in your Citrix client?
not applicable, i am not using terminal server

2. The server you are trying to connect to, is it running Citrix Metaframe Server?
yes

3. Have you tried removing Zone Alarm?
yes

However, you then state Outlook is asking you to download a file? I'm confused.
this is the Citrix Outlook application. and you are not the only one confused!

Oops wrong thread :/

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

is the outlook icon coming from the citrix client or a website?(nfuse)

cause it sounds like a situation we run into all the time with nfuse web and not having the ICA plugin for internet explorer

One common problem is that you need to enter the server's IP address for both the server name and the actual address on the properties/connecion page. You might want to also check the connection type, e.g., is it TCP/IP or TCP/IP + HTTP? And finally I've had the best result using the ICA client found on the Windows XP install CD. By the way, Windows XP supplies a terminal services client by default.

this setup is pushed from an outside source and they tell me i should not have to do anything other than install the client.

well i even tried it on my ME machine and got the same results. so, i have given up for now and will play with it when i am bored.

thanks for the assist though.

You probably also need a vpn client to establish a connection with the remote site.
Can you even ping the address of the server you are trying to connect to?

With ME you either need to use a terminal services license or do a registry hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back