Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP CD Write Wiz not working right

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooglin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2003
US
I all, I really didn't want to start a new topic, but after extended digging I couldn' find a similar issue.

Basically a brand new XP box, brand new, windows install went straight to SP2. (on drive c:) There's a 2nd drive hogging d:, which makes the CDRW e:

I'm having trouble with the WinXP CD writing wizard. Nero works fine, iTunes works fine, but Windows Wizard sees a blank disk and says that there's not enough room, try another CD.

It's really no skin off my back to have to open Nero to burn a CD, but it really would be easier to be able to right click -> send to E: and have the wizard pop up and work for a change.

Did I miss a KB article somewhere?

How big a file are you trying to burn with XP's inbuilt software?

Are the Disks you are writing to formatted by third party software? Try Erasing the CD with XP's software to see if that works, if it does, attempt to burn to the CD once more.

306641 - HOW TO: Erase Files From a CD-RW Disc in Windows XP

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP

Burning CDs in Windows XP

Thanks for the shot Linney, but a bit of clarification:

I haven't tried to burn any files more than a few meg in size.

For the CD Writing Wizard here's the process:
- right click on a file and send to d: (cd)
- balloon pops up, saying my files are ready to be written to the CD
- click the balloon, "Files ready to be written to the CD" window pops up
- click on "write these files to CD" and the message box comes up "This CD does not have enough free space for your files" and choices are retry or close.

Leaving the CD in the drive, (after the XP wiz fails)I can start up Nero and run the burn process all over again and it works just fine. Ditto for iTunes. Proving that the issue is not the media.

Basically, the CD burner works, and the PnP was good enough for iTunes and Nero to work... but the built in XP wizard is wonky. I guess I can live without it... but there should be some way to fix it.

I'm not sure if I said it in the first post, but this was a fresh XP Pro install on a brand new (homebuilt) computer. So I can't confirm if the CD Writing Wizard ever worked in the first place.

Any clues from this unrelated article?

829995 - You cannot burn a CD after you install Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

For a complete list of CD-R and CD-RW drives that are compatible with Windows XP, please see the following Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List Web site:

Is there anything odd about your CD Burning folder, permissions and access or the size of the folder or drive? Are you able to get the files you want to burn into that folder? What if you use Copy or Move instead of Sendto? You could even try placing the files in the CD Burning folder directly to see if it objects to that.

Drive:\Documents and Settings\Usernamexxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

Are there files offered for saving or deletion by the Wizard after your failed attempts? What happens to the files you try to burn do they vanish? Normally you are offered the option to save or delete them.

Sorry to cutting in.
I have a problem when I copy to cd-rw disk, one sub-folder somehow becomes a 'zipped ' sub-folder, although the original one was not. And when I un-pack it, it ask me for password.
I have up-dated to SP2 without running into any problem, yet...
Thanks in advance.

What zip program do you use?

What if anything is different about this folder when it is on your hard drive? Is it compressed?

Any clues from this unrelated article?
829995 - You cannot burn a CD after you install Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

That KB article explains it perfectly (the error message) except for the fact that they're talking about Windows Server 2003 and I'm running XP Professional 2002 (SP2).

The 2nd part re: Hardware Compatability List... covered... It's on the list, although it says that the drivers are not on the XP install CD. I'll check the manufacturers site for a driver update and see if that gets me anywhere.

Once the Wiz fails, the Window showing "Files ready to be burned to CD" stays open, so I have the option of trying the Wiz again, or deleting the files... no permission issues.

Any harm in uninstalling SP2 and seeing if it has any effect?

SP2 or the other burning software, but only as an experiment. Maybe updating the drivers will fix it. Might be an idea to back up every thing with ASR (see help and support) before you get too experimental.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

878454 - How to help protect your computer if you decide to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2

linney,
The thing is i did not use any ' zip ' program at all.
I will try to erase the entire disk and burns it one more time to see whether it turn the sub-folder into a zipped folder again.
This sub-folder have a combination of .eml, .doc, .jpg etc., all not compressed. Same as the others on the main folder.
thanks again

I need to know if there is anyway to remove windows media player and windows CD writing wizard? I am making karaoke CDS and i have a new comp. everything was fine on my old one but i got this new one cause it was bigger and now i cant do anything with it because of that wizard. Can anybody help! thanks

WMP is part of XP and is not able to be removed. What you can do is use the Tools/ Options/ File Types to prevent WMP being the default player for those files.

You may have to purchase some third party burning software such as Nero if XP's is causing you problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back