Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP can't get IP; MAC Address 00-00-00-00-00-00

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyedidit

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
US
Buddy of mine is having a problem connecting to the internet using high-speed cable connection. I ran some tests with him over the phone, he's got an IP of 169.294.x.x (apipa) and he can ping 127.0.0.1 fine. So I concluded the problem resided with the ISP. However, he already had contacted them, and they walked him through some things as well. an IPCONFIG /ALL displays his MAC/physical address as 00-00-00-00-00-00. He is not behind a router or firewall of anykind, and cannot successfully lease an IP. Supposedly the machine has not been connected for a month, plugged it in last week (Friday) and has never been online since. Any suggestions before I head out there? Thanks in advance.

Hey, just an update. I went onsite, the machine was not getting an IP address but my laptop did. Took the bad unit to my work bench and hooked it up and it worked fine got an IP from my DHCP server, connected to the internet. MAC address was still 00-00-00-00-00-00 but after updating drivers the correct physical address appeared. The NIC was integrated on an Aopen MX46 533v. I had another system with the same mobo and checked the MAC and it was 00-00-00-00-00-00 on that one too. updated drives and the correct address (stamped on top of the adapter) appeared. I'll be returning the unit soon to see if everything's working fine. Odd issue but the unit did function here with the bogus MAC but not on the user's cable modem..

Most cable systems use the MAC for authentication. This is why most broadband routers offer a MAC "cloning" feature so that the router appears as the original PC to the cable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back