Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP can't connect at 100mb, 10mb works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlee

Technical User
Apr 9, 2001
US
I've got an XP machine with a 3Com 10/100 3c905b. I just bought a straight 100mb switch. I plugged in my XP box, and the NIC sees and reports the 100mb connection. But I can't ping the switch I'm plugged in to, the server, or anything beyond. I tried new drivers, half duplex, full duplex, auto, voodoo rituals, animal sacrifice (I didn't really like that cat very much anyway.) I just can't get this thing to communicate at 100mb. I plug it back into the 10mb hub and it works perfectly. This switch works with my 2000 box, 98 box and my NT box just fine.
Thanks
Mark

To test the network card, throw it in your 2K machine and see if it will work. If not you have a bad network card (sounds like you've done a very thorough job of testing it!). That's about the last thing I can think of...

Good luck

You may need a router instead of a switch. That's what I found out on my home network with WXP Pro and Home.
Tom Trevathan

maybe the switch is bad. There should be no reason for you to buy a router instead of a switch unless you have two network segments or have broadband internet.

Start/Control Panel

Switch to classic view

Go to Network Connections
Right-click your connection, click properties

Click Configure

Select the "Advanced" tab

Set "Media Type" to "Auto Select"

Click "Ok" to close each box until all are closed.

Restart machine.

Fixes most of 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back