Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP can't browse network neighborhood 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblack63

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
US
My school district recently purchased our first machines with Windows xp professional. The seem fine except that suddenly, they can no longer browse the network neighborhood saying that their may be a security problem. I am the system administrator. The 2000 boxes and 98 boxes browse the network neighborhood with no problems at all. Only the XP macines are affected.

If I type in the \\server1 address, the xp machines can then browse. You just can't get there through the network neighborhood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here is an article from Microsft that might be helpful as well.
Article number: Q318266

Where does the master browser get its info. Broadcast, DNS, WINS?. Double check the wins entry. If the 2000 machines are OK, then the XP should work fine. XP does not bind netbios by default. Check tcp/ip - advanced - wins tab - look to see if netbios is checked. If the network is depending on broadcst, then the box should be checked. If this works, then WINS should be implemented for the lan. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back