Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP boots to black screen before "welcome/login" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidy

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
GB
PLEASE HELP

ok, heres the deal

when I boot my PC it boots normally (ie past the XP logo with loading bar) then goes to a black screen with the mouse curser. keyboard seems unresponsive.

So, I tried booting into dos using the XP msdos start disk created in the "format" tool (on my mates PC)
when that starts it will only access A: drive (not my cdroms/dvdrom drives nor my harddisk)

I used fdisk to make sure my HDD was recognised but it has no drive letter nor anything under the "system" heading

I tried using a win ME startup disk and it says my HDD is has no supported partition (I figured that was becouse ME doesnt support my NTFS partition) So I still cant access my hard drive

I enterd into BIOS sttings and my hardrive is still being booted as normal (it was) - I also tried resetting to default settings but still no change.

I tried starting in safe mode - no change, I tried using last known working settings - no change, I've tried every thing I can think of - but still no change.

I even tried using my friends harddrive as my primary drive to make sure its not a hardware problem - but it boots normally with that drive, and will not pick up MY harddrive if I set it as a secondry drive (using the jumpers on the drive and also in BIOS)

I cant think of anything else to try.

If you have any ideas or if youve had this problem.... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... reply

cheers.
BOIDY

Boot to your XP CD.
Select new install, not upgrade.
Hit "R" to enter the repair console.
At the prompt, type: fixboot
Again at the prompt, type: fixmbr
Take out the CD and restart.
If that doesn't fix it, boot to the XP CD again.
Start a new install
Hit F8 to agree to the TOS/License.
When prompted to repair a current installation, hit "R".
Have the CD key handy, and let it run.
This will reinstall XP over top of itself, and usually fixes many problems.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back