Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Boot Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMFANZ

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2003
GB
I have a slightly different prob than posted before.

I have installed XP Pro (and it installs no problem). As long as the system is running everything is fine. When I restart everything is fine. If I shut the system down and cold boot later, XP says that c:\winnt\system32\config\system file is corrupted or missing please install from windows cd or run repair.

Microsoft have a work around to restart the system which sometimes works and sometimes does not. This does not fix the problem only alows it to start, if I shut the system down the the problem ocurrs again and then I have to reinstall XP.

I have all the service packs installed and up to date, I have tried dissabling onboard sound, reseated the ram/ all cards and ran BIOS failsafe defaults.

System details:

AMD ATHLON 1.2 ghz
ecs mainboard
256mb ddr ram
maxtor 40gig hdd
NVIDIA GF2 64mb
SB LIVE sound card
CDROM
cdrw on scsi card
internal 56K v90 modem

I have down loaded all latest drivers for cards etc.

any help would be appreciated

reinstall the system again, but disble your paralel port, USB, and com ports in your bios before installing. only when the system is fully configured, and had its cold start etc, turn them on again in your bios.

we have a similar issue with 1 type of laptop (dell C610), and by disabling the paralel port and IR we can prevent this issue

Cheers,

Looks like my weekrnd just got busy

Thanks

will post result here

Have done a clean install with com/parallel/usb disabled. closed down then started and enbelled devices system now closes down and restarts.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back