Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcajka

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
US
can any 1 please send me a copy of the boot ini and what ever other files need to make a xp disk bootable?

i have xp on my d: and want to make it c: without having to reload xp and take a week that i don't have to reload all my software and the updates. thank you for your time

You've just answered question I asked in your other thread.

Removing 98 from C: and moving X to it, or just changing XP's boot drive from D: to C: is not straightforward, and definitely not recommended (without reinstalling). If you really want to do it, I strongly recommend backing everything up, wiping the drive and doing a fresh install of XP & all your software (yes, I know you don't want to take the time).

Alternative is to live with XP on D: (no big issue - mine's on F:, doesn't cause any problems) - just delete everything on the C: drive except the boot sector files (boot.ini, ntldr & ntdetect.com). You've then got your space back (ok, in 2 partitions - but that could be a good thing - you can keep data there - separate from o/s for example)

An idea to make D: bootable and the Primary Master (?)

Panderson - if its a primary partition (dual boots like this it tends to be extended, because that's what XP creates in install if primary (98) partition present) - or jbcajka's got PM and can make it primary, and he recreates the XP boot sector there (copy ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini & run fixboot D: from recovery console), and makes it active of course.

thankyou all again,
the solution to my problem was to move the windows directory for 98se so that the os is still intact but can't be used.

jbcajka - moving the 98 windows folder doesn't remove it from the boot menu (will just make it fail if you select it) - you need to edit boot.ini or set XP to only use the XP entry for that (just making this clear for other readers of this thread)

ok i tryed to remove 98 from the menu but it did,nt work. with out the time to reinstall xp and everthing else that goes with it, this will keep my system safe from others on the web.

Just edit boot.ini. If 2 partitions on one drive it will look something like this now:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Remove the C:\="Microsoft Windows" so:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

(If 2 disks - result should look like:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

boot.ini is hidden, read only, system file (you may need to change its attributes to get it to save back to itself if you edit it directly. But from system properties, advanced, Statup and recovery settings button (in XP) you can edit it without worrying about that.

ok i tryed that. the 3rd boot.ini you sent me was what i had at one point and it didn't work. xp is on my d drive if that makes a difference.

What matters is which partition on which disk.

rdisk value referes to hard drive - 0 for the first, 1 for second etc.

partition value refers to partition position on the hard drive - 1 for first, 2 for second etc.

I have seen instances where what appeared to be the second partition was actually the 3rd or 4th. If you add lines in the boot.ini for these -

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (3)" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (4)" /fastdetect

you can then select these is (2) doesn't work (to see if same displacement has happened to your installation too). If one works, just replace default value with it and remove the ones which don't work.

thankyou very much1 this should do it. but i have two drive and 2 partitions. but that was a good that you broke it down for me no i can go and rewrite the ini so that 98 won't be in the boot up

If you consult Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 289022,

be aware of a possible error in the listings of Sample Boot.ini Files:

In the second example, for the case "after adding another partition running Windows 2000 Professional"

in the next to last line which begins,

"multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1) ..."

I question the "disk(1)" , thinking that
that should be "disk(0)" .

Since only a partition has been added, not another drive, why should that be different?

Caveat editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back