Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Boot held up on password screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby4Doo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
Hello ~ this is a long story but I need help. I purchased a laptop for my company. It was used, had Win98 on it, so I upgraded it to XP Pro. Set it up to join a domain, etc. Boss says he doesn't want it on the network, wants to use it at home and doesn't want the logon screen accompanied with it.

SO, I go into System Properties and then "Network" change it from a Domain to a workgroup - forgetting to disable the logon/password screen ~ then rebooted. Now the laptop will not accept the previous Username and Password when it did prior to my disabling it from the Domain name. I have even tried to log in utilizing just "Administrator" and various passwords but still cannot get in.

is there a way I can login without having to reinstall the OS again? Please let me know! Thanks!

Waiting for the worm to turn... [peace]

yes - doesn't work!

In the login try typing

Domainname\username

ie Christmas\palmerG

and then the password.

This should allow you to sign into the domain account. Now you can make the neccisary changes.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

He needs access as local Administrator.
I do not think anything else will work.

As a site policy, no comments are acceptable to circumvent system password, security, or software lockdowns.

Scooby4Doo-

How did you install the XP-Pro without knowing the administrator password?

Best Regards,
David Tracy

I originally set the laptop up on a network - thinking my boss wanted it that way. He wants to use the laptop strictly at home now - wants to bypass the login screen altogether. I went into the system settings under control panel and changed the pc from logging into a DOMAIN by going to the "computer name" tab, then clicking "change" - changed it from a domain name to a workgroup name. I FORGOT to change the settings to eliminate the login screen from coming up upon bootup prior to restarting it. Now the login screen comes up asking for the username and password. When I type in the administrator username and password I assigned to the laptop upon original installation of the XP Pro, it won't log in. I've tried everything I can think of to get back in, and my boss is getting upset. I just wanted to know if there was a way to log back in without having to reinstall XP. I appreciate all the feedbacks! But that's the story, cross my heart! Let me know! THANKS!!!!

It has been a long time since I had to troubleshoot network login problems. Can you login by doing the following

MachineName\Administrator then the password you originally setup

or

WorkgroupName\Administrator then the password you originally setup

Greg Palmer

Nice thought Greg, force it see the local domain.

That strategy may also work if you force it via the DomainName\Administrator

Or...if you attempt to log on using a network administrator account in this fashion

administrator@domainname.com

That may work with an Active Directory Setup.

I realize you pulled it from the domain but that MAY still work to get you in.

The MachineName\Administrator and then password should work if the domain name and the workgroup name are gone (no options in the logon screen), because you're not supposted to be able to delete the local administrator account.

Best Regards,
David Tracy

And, if the install was made while connected to the domain, and if the domain name was deleted then the domain admin account would have been deleted, and the local admin password is more than likely blank.

Best Regards,
David Tracy

Nothing is working! I keep getting this message. Also, the options button is visible but when you click on it nothing happens.

"the system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters must be used in the correct case."

Yes, however, XP still asks for username and password - doesn't work there either....

If your not so sure about the password then ask the source you bought the laptop from and try using the original password it had setup on it when 98 was installed! If a username and password wasnt enabled then the password should be default you shouldnt have to type anything! Or at welcome screen press cntrl + alt + delete and press cancel and see what happens! If all else fails then most likely your going to have to reinstall

There is a reletivly easy way of doing this which I have just tested. However i'm not sure if posting it would infringe on the rules of this forum. I believe it would so google for BartPE and then think how this might be used in conjuction with the "Net User" command.

Greg Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back