Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Backup Hangs - looking for backup devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austral

Programmer
Oct 31, 2002
US
Hi,

I want to use XP Backup. When I start it I get a small window which says "Backup Utility", on the 2nd line it says "Looking for Backup Devices" and hangs.

I have a CD write but I actually want to backup to my 2nd hard disk.

I finally have to go into Task Manager | Processes and select end process for ntbackup.

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this problem. If not, is there another backup utility that you can recommend?

Jim

Is your 2nd hard drive a fixed disk?

Check out the Event Viewer for any errors, and checkout Services for any hanging services which might not be starting and causing the problem.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Free or nearly free methods.

FREE easy backup methods:

Your installed programs, Documents and Settings, and XP Operating System can be backed up separately via A.S.R. onto a different partition. You can leave it there or further back it up onto CD if you have software that handles spanning of CD's.

818903 - Automated System Recovery Overview in Windows XP

Thanks for your advice from both of you.

I don't have a tape device but have changed hardware on occasion, especially the CD drives. I suppose I could have some drivers that are no longer valid or useful. I have tried repairing Windows and that doesn't seem to help.

I ran Scannow and got "no incompatabilities found". I then checked for unsigned devices. There were 17,217 found and 6,649 unsigned. I can't possibly disable all these. Perhaps I have some serious problems with my system since I do have other problems.

Occasionally I get a memory dump. I tried replacing the memory but that didn't help. I also have had a few other weird problems such as the task bar locking when disconnectiong from the internet. That finally somehow resolved itself, although I have no idea why. But now I get disconnected fairly often. I have some other annoying issues but I don't want to bore you with all of them.

Thanks,

Jim

As an easy start to the issue, download and run a good malware scanner. You likely have an active antivirus tool in place, but the issue do not to me seem viral. My favoritie trialware of the month is Giant Antispyware:

I would recommend you start by fixing all your issues instead of staring yourself blind on something that probably is a result of one of the other problems.

Worst case, re-install all.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

There were 17,217 found and 6,649 unsigned" You should have limited the search (via settings) to the System32/ Drivers folder or just the System32 folder and not have it search every file on your computer and therefore produce a faulty result.

What about a fresh start (a sort of spring clean)? You can then easily update to SP2 at the same time. You can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to keep your various settings and files. Only the drive with XP need be formatted, preferably as NTFS, you could use the Convert.exe on the 2nd drive if you wish to save that data.

F.A.S.T. and Convert are covered in the Help and Support program.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

I have more problems now. I installed SP2 and it didn't work and instructed me to uninstall it. Unfortunately during the uninstall it hung for about 4 hours so I had to power off. Windows still comes up but I now can't connect to the internet and it won't recognize some of my devices. Fortunately I have another computer.

I'm now in the process of deciding to either start over from scratch and reinstall everything or send it to a good friend who does computer hardware ans software repair.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

My honest opinion is that there are underlying issues with the computer: that can be malware, and they could be hardware.

The following instructions will let you revert from the failed SP2 install and decide as to what future course you want to take. A friend willing to do a thorough malware test/cleanup, and a check of your hard disk drive and any IDE connected peripheral, is a good friend to know:

Ok, thanks again for the advice. I'm going to try my friend first before starting from scratch. He is very competent. I also printed out the How to remove XP SP2 article.

Thanks,

Jim

If you count all the time you already spent on trying to fix 1 issue, and who knows how many will follow, you would already had that system rebuild several times, and smoothly running too.

Honestly, how much time would you put it before you give in...

This is a 'simply' workstation, not a dedicated high traffic server you are dealing with.

Get the drivers for everything, backup, and in just a few hours your troubles are history.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Get the drivers for everything, backup,"

That's the original problem - he can't backup!

WRONG Micker377 !

He did NOT say he cannot backup, he said XP-Backup is not working properly.
Hey, there is other ways to backup then MSBackup !
A simple copy of data will do, or a ghost, or ... dozens of solutions.
Heck, for 50 $ you get a new disk and start from scratch.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

marcs41:
True, but if he HAD another back-up program, he wouldn't be asking all these questions.

Come on micker, we are not going to guess as to WHY he is using XP backup.
It's free, it's included, and it works ok (most of the time ;-)) so why would that be an issue.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back