Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP as remote client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

If I install a 5 clent W2000 server, does it mean that I can dial in from up to 5 XP pro systems simultaneously? Do I have to buy any terminal services licences?

John.

only if you're actually logging in using terminal server after you've connected. 5 client licenses means 5 clients can make connections, regardless of terminal server.

Bronto,

I thought that Win2K pro and XP pro came with the terminal services access clients built in, and that you only needed to buy them if using NT 4.0 or earlier versions of windows. I thought that I read that you only needed to buy the server client licenses and you were good to go. If I am wrong in that assumption please let me know.

Shawn

I believe that's what the original post was asking, about server licenses, no?
As for the client software, Terminal services client does not come built in with 2K or XP, it has to be installed from the server. XP, however, comes with Remote Desktop sharing ....

My bad, read it too quickly and missed the main point of the post. Please forgive me as even though I have a brain, it doesn't always function correctly.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back