Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and Java-based games/ Virtual Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzVancouver

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Hi everybody:

I am reposting this problem to see if anyone has experienced the same difficulty.

I recently reformated with Windows XP Professional and since then, I cannot play any of the games on MSN Gaming Zone. I am talking about virtual pool games, Collapse, Mah JOng and many other games on the Zone that require "Microsoft Virtual Machine" to play. It stops and tells me I have to download this virtual machine, but when I try to, it says "automatic download of this program is no longer available"!

I have searched for it on Microsoft Update already and cannot find it. All I have found when I search "virtual" "java" or "microsoft virtual" or combinations like that is a news item from March 2002 which does not download anything. I've also searched at Download.com and a couple of other places, and I have run my MS Windows Update installer, and yet I still cannot open these game programs.

Anyone have this problem and/ or have solved it? or have any ideas at all? Thanks for your time.

Lisette

Microsoft closed the install-on-demand feature 30 days after it told Java inventor Sun Microsystems it would reinstate Java in Windows XP through the forthcoming Service Pack 1 but remove it altogether in 2004.

Microsoft said the option was removed to take an issue off the table in legal actions with Sun.

more:
For 9x, ME, NT, XP msjavx86.exe is also available currently through a number of ftp sites such as:

ftp://ftp.redcom.ru/pub/support/windows/corporate/8.04/winxp/en/com_microsoft.internetexplorer6x/x86WinXP/com_microsoft.javavm_3319_MIL_4275/MSJavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.uq.edu.au/mirror/microsoft/patches/winxp/javavm_3319_MIL_4275/MSJavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.intergraph.com/ingr/pub/old/pub/federal/msjavx86.exe (probable, but not positive that this is 3805)

I have had the same problem with java VM downloads from microsoft. I got java from Sun and installed it but still cannot play on yahoo games using IE. I also have opera 6.04 and have no problems using java at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back