Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp and internet disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocam

Technical User
Feb 19, 2002
US
I have a presario 7478 that uses a cable provider for internet connection. I have xp pro running. The problem is after a while of downloading or leaving the connection up, it loses the connection. No special warnings or screens pop up, just the connection is not there.
Help please. Thank you.

In Network Connections right click on your Internet connection and select Properties. Under the Options tab ensure that the Idle Time Disconnect field is set to "Never" All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

If you're on a network with a hub, the Ericcson cable modem seems to cut out like that for no reason. On the other hand - Samsung modems are extremely reliable with a network. I just thought I'd tell you whether Mulga's solution helped or not. :)

Sometimes ISP's will kick you if you don't steadily send stuff...(like when you fill out a form and it drops you off)
That way more people get on...
I fight that by running a self-refreshing webcam (every 20 seconds) that usually keeps the connection alive. There's a freebie app called keepalive that does the same thing with periodic pings of the server...there are others.

I had a similar problem, on my NIC card, I had to right-click, properties, go to the power management tab if your nic card has this tab, and uncheck tge the option: "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"...

... Mulga's suggestion, reminded me of my fix....

Hope one or all of these suggestions helps...

Thanks for everyone's help. Downloaded stay alive and the system has been up ever since.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought cable modems were touted as being Always On. As long as the computer is on then your internet connection is alive. Those programs like 'stay alive' I thought were really only for dialup connections. Like I said please correct me if this is not true.

Stealer

Well put, Stealer, I obviously wasn't paying attention...my bad!

Well, believe it or not, the stay alive program is the only thing I changed and it worked. Go figure huh!

"Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought cable modems were touted as being Always On. As long as the computer is on then your internet connection is alive. Those programs like 'stay alive' I thought were really only for dialup connections. Like I said please correct me if this is not true."

Well, I run a Motorola cable modem and use ATTBI for my ISP. They break my connection randomly, sometimes in the middle of use. It happens anywhere from every few days to every few hours. Checked the PC, cables, hardware, signal, etc., nothing wrong except them.

'Always connected, always on", it ain't! Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back