Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and Intel motherboards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman59

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
DE
Which Pentium motherboard and processor in the 2.4gh to 2.8gh range would be a good match for WinXP?

Main uses would be audio recording, eventually some video editing, digital imaging, games limited to Flight Sim standard, internet surfing.

Video board would be Ti4600, onboard audio would be used initially, 80gb HD, spare slots would be required for upgrades / additions.

I would welcome some advice on this since I have no experience of XP.

Brian

Any and all CPU's in that range would work just fine. Just be sure to use at least 256MB of memory. I've found that XP actually prefers 512MB if you can spare it. Anything more wouldn't really show in terms of benchmarking.

I've run XP on a PIII 450MHz without a hitch... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

My personal preference for motherboards has become gigabyte. I've had other brands that have had compatability problems with some processors, others that have just died for no known reason. I've never had to replace a gigabyte because of problems. The only difficulty, is deciding which one as they have many similarites between models.

I don't think so about Smah' option,I met several compartibiliby problem with the gigabyte brand mainboard.
choice another brand!

LOL smah!

That's why I didn't make a recommendation! Everyone has their own opinion, and some (subxp) will even let you have it!

Personally, I have always had a good experience with Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus when it comes to Intel processors.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thank you for your replies, at least I now know that I do not have to aim for one motherboard above all others, this will allow some elbow room on balancing price and specification.

Happy Christmas

Brian

Check out the Hardware section of the forum. But off the top of my head I'd say an ASUS mobo, 2 hard discs (one for OS, one for recording, even a third if you're going to stream loops/samples while you record). Do a search for "optimization" and "xp" as there are some things you should do to windows during installation, and after. Ditch the Creative cards if you can. I'm using a Delta 66 and Cubase SX with Wavelab. It's all you need to make an excellent cd. But even if you don't use Cubase, check out the forum there as it's about the best digital audio comunity around (now that Bluelife is dead...).

If, however, you really want an Intel board, the new D845 series is nice and the P4 2.4b (533mHz)is at a very good price right now. At least 512 Megs of DDR Ram (333mHz) and you'll have lots of room for lots of tracks and reverbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back