Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and IE6 not displaying Windows Update and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJoel

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
US
A customer's system XP running IE6 will not allow windows update to run. It says that the security settings will not allow ActiveX Controls to run.

I have set it to allow everything and it still happens.

This began because the customer wanted to get onto her secure bank website and it says the server is not responding.
Yet in netscape it works.

I think they are both related.
I went through the microsoft windows update trouble shooter and still no fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try to update to the Latest Active X Controls 9.0

Does the computer scan for installled updates?
Do let us know
cheers
zofo

Yes, the automatic update program will say it found updates but the only time I tried to have it download the updates it didn't seem to work. It looked like it never downloaded the updates.

See if anything here helps you.

282784 - Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes

Here you can choose and save your downloads to disk.

Some links for you to check out.

Windows Update
Thread779-390623

Unable to install Windows updates after System Restore
Thread779-428084

Here's an old Windows 98 MSK for what it is worth.

193657 - Troubleshooting Windows Update Connection and Download Problems.

Problem is though, it is not just windows update.

It is also a secure server at the customer's bank website.
If I ping the site it won't respond, yet it will in netscape.
IE6 wont view the page.

Try looking here

This is from Lockergnome

Windows Update Installation Failure

Have you ever hit Windows Update, identified required patches, only to be met with installation failure, even with repeated attempts? Me too. Windows 2000 and Windows XP have a quirk that can result in this behavior if there are too many files within the INF folder. A patch is available for download, but I don't see it listed by Windows Update itself at this point.

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Have a try with the "https" fix mentioned here. Try it on both your problem sites.

Windows Update not working
thread779-366830

I know this thread is aging, but I'll add my observations.

Yesterday I worked for many hours on a customer's Win XP home machine; it appears to have exactly the same problems described in this thread.

Windows Update will not load, reporting that activex is not allowed to run. In addition, any URL that begins with https:// will not load, which includes the user's bank system.

What I know about this user's system is that they had over a dozen known parasites ( )installed, hijacking IE functionality left and right. The origin of these particular parasites is one or all of the following p2p programs: kazaa, morpheus, grokster (!), and bearshare, all of which were installed. I was able to clean all of the known parasites, but some others are obviously still there throwing IE Popup windows when there is not even a web browser window open. Also, this customer insists that bonzi buddy is useful software, so it has not been removed. I have switched them to Netscape Navigator since I was unable to fix the primary problem.

A newer thread appears to have possibly resolved the web browser issues:
thread779-562413

Since I am unable to return to the affected machine, I cannot confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back