Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and client 4.9a (and b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltromans

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
We are on NW 6 sp3 The workstation is XP Pro sp 1. The client is 4.9 a (and also the "b" patch). The desktop management agent is 4.0. The client runs IP and IPX.

The PC began doing this goofy thing where it reboots right after you log in. It happens right after the desktop pops up. It even happens if you log into the workstation only. The only way to fix it is to go in safe mode and uninstall the client.

I downloaded a fresh client but it did not make any difference. I also did a complete reinstall of XP.

Sometimes it happens right after I install the client, sometimes it is after I install the management agent. I have Symantec 8.1 - it does not detect any problems.

Oh yes - I also updated the bios.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Try loading the 4.83 client instead and see if it makes a difference

Hi,

I'm going to guess that you have an integrated Intel Extreme Graphics video chipset (something like the 82865G) on the system. There is an update for this chipset from Intel ( the one at the Windoze Update site does not work. To be able to install it, I had to start in safe mode, start regedit and remove the following two registry keys:
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/IgfxTray HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/HotKeysCmds

My computers are HP D330 systems, so you might not have the HotKeysCmds key on yours.

Upgrading the video driver will reinstall the registry keys, and of 6 systems, 4 would work fine immediately after the upgrade and 2 needed to have the IgfxTray registry key removed again (perminantly). Go figure.

Mike

jfp23 - yes, I tried the 4.83 client. It made no difference.

Mike - I think you are on the right track. Yes, I have an integrated Intel Extreme Graphics video chipset- the 82865G.

I downloaded the driver from intel and updated. I deleted the registry keys (then installed the driver again). I even went back and deleted the IgfxTray key.

THen I was able to install the nw client and everything is fine. But when I install the management agent, it goes back to the reboot mode- right after the system tray finishes loading, the PC reboots. And the worse part is, even after removing the management agent, it is still in reboot mode. So I am back to square one.

I welcome any other suggestions.

Well I finally got it working. I was browsing the NW5 forum and some one mentioned that removing NICI and NMAS from their client install saved a lot of headaches. So, I thought, it couldn't hurt.

Well, it worked! So now I just have to see if that broke anything else :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back