Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP and 98SE will not talk to each other 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalchri

Programmer
Apr 19, 2002
US
Here is my setup:

Windows 98SE computer
IP address: 196.168.1.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
no default gateway
computer name: ALDP400
workgroup: DPHOME

Windows XP computer
IP address: 196.168.1.3
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
no default gateway
computer name: COMPAC
workgroup: DPHOME

There are shares on both machines established.

Here is what I see on the Windows 98SE computer:
In explorer, I can see the computer ALDP400 both under network neighborhood and entire network->DPHOME both shares are there. When I ping 192.168.1.2 from DOS I get success. When I ping 192.168.1.3 (Windows XP computer) I get nothing.

Here is what I see on the Windows XP computer:
In explorer, I can see the DPHOME workgroup. I see no computers at all anywhere. The Windows XP computer does not even see itself. When I disconnect the network cable from the back of the box, I get a notification. When I reconnect the cable, I get another notification.

So, it looks to that my network is physically operating correctly because I can ping on the 98SE computer and I get that notification from the XP computer.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

As the boards here have shown you should make sure that netbui is installed. Also make sure that there is an account with the same password as the one on the 98 machine. Make sure the 98 machine is set to use the right kind of logon. It should ask you for a name and password everytime you start-up. Make sure there is a share on the windows 98 and XP machines. Make sure that the firewall in XP is turned off and that if there is a firewall on the 98 machine that it isn't blocking communication. Those are my suggestions for now.

You don't need to make the 98 machine have a login. If he tries to access the XP box from the 98 it should prompt him to put in a username and password.

dalchri, check to see if your XP computer has it's built in firewall on.

Also, can you ping each computer from the other? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Just think it makes things easier if you do :) Just my opinion tho!

I have TCP/IP installed as the only network protocal on both machines right now. When I install NetBUI, can I eliminate the TCP/IP protocals? I just like to keep my setups as clean as possible.

Thanks

NetBeui is a small, non-routable protocol. Yes, you could run a home network on just NetBeui, but I don't recommend it.
TCP/IP is a routable protocol, that's why it's the internet's standard. It's more robust than NetBeui, but slower.
I run a Win2000 server with mixed WinXP/ME/98se clients with just TCP/IP running and everyone can see one another just fine. Granted, accessing a 98se share from XP and vise versa is slow as heck to initialize, but once it connects, speed is fine.

1) Have you tried pinging from the XP box to the 98? Also, can you ping another IP from the 98 box other than itself?
Internal IPs can still respond to a ping, but external might still have a problem.
2) Have you turned on file sharing in XP, and have you actually shared something? Sometimes pc's don't show up in Network Neighborhood unless they have a share setup.
3) Are you sure your NIC's are good? Do you have Cable/DSL, if so, can both surf the web?
4) You didn't turn off any services in WinXP, did you? You might have whacked a service necessary for networking.
5) Do a 'ping loopback' on the XP box, see if you get a response.

Can't you force a 2000 or XP computer to share it's drives?

Right-click "My Computer" and choose "Map Network Drive" and for the "Folder" do something like:

\\IPAddressToConnectTo\C$

This forces a share of the C drive even if they don't have it as being shared (you know...the little hand on the drive). ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I suggested netbui be installed because a lot of people around here seem to suggest it for this problem. I realize it is only for simple computer to computer connection. Make sure file and print sharing is enabled on the windows 98 box. Follow FatFingerTony's suggestion and do a ping loopback. Just open a command prompt window and ping 127.0.0.1 . Then try pinging 192.168.1.3 on the xp box itself. Neither of these tests should fail. If they do fail your tcp/ip stack is fubar. Are the cables you are using factory or home made? Are you just using a crossover between the two pc's or a patch cable from eatch to a router/hub?

mithrihall,
Yes, if you know the administrator password, you can map right to WinNT/2000/XP hidden shares. By default, there is a hidden share (the $ at the end of the share means hidden) for each drive letter(partition or physical) and one called Admin$ that maps to C:\Windows, and another one called IPC$ that doesn't map anywhere (?).
But, I think that more of a work-around than a fix, and I can't live with work-arounds, they might bite you later. [wink]

I only know how to ping from the DOS prompt. Do I need to download a little utility program or something to ping from XP cause it doesn't have DOS?

Note: XP has DOS. To run it just go Start->Run-> and type cmd . Press enter.

Oops, how embarasing!

Ok, I managed to get, Windows 98SE and Windows XP to ping each other using their IP addresses. I managed this by adding a third 98SE box to make sure that the cables worked. Then I ditched the third 98SE box and connected the XP box using that cable.

This is better than where we were. However, I cannot get the 98SE and XP boxes to ping each other using their computer names. Where can I go from here?

Thanks again...

So, are the two pc'c connected directly to each other, or are they going through some kind of hub or router?

If they're connected directly, you need to be sure they're using a crossover cable.

At the WinXP Run dialog box, type \\ALDP400 and hit enter (Note: Win98 has to be sharing a folder for this to bring up anything).

If that command works, then the network is intact. No need for NetBEUI unless all else fails. Just make sure you have file & print sharing enabled and it should work...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

This may be obvious but...

Check the cables. If you are connecting the cable directly from one PC to the other, it MUST be a crossover cable. If you connect each PC to a HUB or ROUTER, then standard patch cables are used.

To identify the type of cable you have, hold each end side-by-side, and compare the colors of the individual wires. You should have four pairs of colored wires. Each pair contains a solid color, and a white wire striped with the same solid color. On one side of the connector will be either an Orange / White-Orange pair or a Green / White-Green pair. If that pair is the same on both connectors, the cable is a Patch cable. If that pair is different on both connectors, the cable is a Patch cable.

Here's another thing to try...

Have you run the Windows XP network setup wizard? If not, do so. Be sure to pay close attention to each of the questions asked, especially the one about how you connect to the internet, as this will affect network access restrictions. Before the wizard is complete, make sure to pay attention to all details on the summary screen, specifically the "firewall" enabled or disabled setting.

I have found this to help with network connection issues that don't seem to have any obvious reason.

I have also found that if the wizard fails, it may be due to the lack of a DHCP server on your network. This does not necessarily mean that the network settings are not applied, only that the TCP/IP address could not be automatically configured and should be done manually.

OK, so you can ping both computers with IP, but not with computer name. Time to turn on NetBIOS on both boxs.
On XP, get into the properties of the local area connection, and get into the Advanced settings of TCP/IP. Under the WINS tab there is 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'. In 98, it's under the NetBIOS tab on TCP/IP settings. I use a linksys router at home for sharings my cable modem, but it also is a DHCP, DNS and WINS server and a basic firewall/port filter all rolled into one, very sweet for under $100!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back