Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP & big trouble connecting to the internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper42

Technical User
May 3, 2002
AU
Can anyone explain to me why, after I connect to the net, I get disconnected within 60 seconds.
I am dual booting ME & XP on Duron 850, 256MB ram, integrated video & sound, Swann USB 56k modem.
I have no problems in ME. In XP I dial my ISP, connect usually at 45333bps or better, get verified, try to go to a webpage and BANG.....disconnected.
I have received a couple of messages saying that I havre ignored an incoming call, but no other indications at all. I have re-installed drivers, modems & XP, but no luck.
When I set up the dual boot, it was clean install of both OS.
So far I have been told it could be a config error (I have reset all settings several times and different combinations), software related ( I have the latest drivers & have even tried earlier ones, tried various settings in IE & XP but still no connection.
Can anyone give me some clues?????

Yep, that was one of the configs I tried changing. I thought of that one pretty early on, but still no continued connection.
Although, as you've said it worked for you, I think I'm going to clean install again and try it again. I figure I'll keep at this until I get it right or I put a brick through my monitor.
Thanks Yegolev.

hi in control panel select network connection select dial up right click on u r dial up connection select security tab select typical then select allow unsecured password in drop box
i hop it will solv u r problem

regards
Mandar

after installing all the software with no luck always disconnected , i ended up ringing my provider to give me another number which they did havent had a prob since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back