Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP ActiveX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombrown13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
US
My brother has a computer problem that "has started for no reason". Any time he gets to a page with ActiveX an information bar appears with "Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here for options..."

I cannot get a right click menu from the bar, the only thing that comes up is "Information Bar Help".

I have enabled all ActiveX controls, disabled firewalls, etc. and cannot get the ActiveX to work. I have reset all of the options to default, rebooted, etc. with no luck.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it possibly a virus that just hasn't been recognized? I have Trend 2005 and it is up to date and found nothing.

Any ideas would be great. I will need to try them in batches as I do not have direct access to the pc. Thanks.

This is standard XP/Explorer behaviour, introduced with SP2 (I think, may be wrong)
You can just click top the bar normally to allow installation of the ActiveX
Or use Tools Options Security in Explorer to change the setting.

Tried that. All ActiveX options are on. When I click on the info bar, I don't get any options, just the pop-up for "Information Bar Help

I had the same issue...I eventually found a Microsoft document that addressed the problem. Although the article doesn't use the exact wording we received from the information bar ("Your security settings do not allow...."), method 4 worked to eliminate my problem. I hope it will do the same for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back