Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Activation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozza

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a machine running Windows XP Home Edition. I activated the OS over the internet. On completion I received a message stating that product activation had completed successfully. I later rebooted my pc, when I did I still receive the message stating that I have 3 days left to activate. I therefore tried activation again which stetd it completed successfully, but the pc thinks otherwise.

Has anyone experienced this before or know a way to fix it. The machine had winxp installed directly on a freshly formatted drive, it wasn't an upgrade from a previous OS.

Cheers

Paul

well the only thing i can think of is to pick of the phone and try the manual activation and gets some support that way

I haven't heard of this condition before. It sounds like something got messed up. BuckeyComputers suggestion will probably be the only way to fix it.

You could look in C:\Windows\System32 folder for WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK to make sure they are there. You could also try to run the activation manually - Start, Run, %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Here's a good article about WPA

Thanks for your posts!! I'll have a look into your suggestions.

Cheers

Paul

I don't know if this will help, but I pulled out one of my Ram sticks and I had to re-activate windows xp.

Just an observation...I have recently discovered that if you make major changes to settings or add/remove hardware/software XP will require you to re-activate because of all those changes. I am becoming very weary of all the BS I've had to put up with lately from XP.

Howdy All:

FYI...

With Microsoft's new product activation in WinXP it has caused confusion as to what happens if one upgrades their hardware. Since the WinXP software activation takes a snapshot of the hardware installed in your system what happens should you upgrade specific components in your system?

Product activation determines tolerance through a voting mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network card which is worth three votes. There must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is not the same, then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be the same. If the device is a dockable laptop, additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more matching points. The changes are cumulative; however, if a user is asked to reactivate, the hardware profile is reset to that new configuration. The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are:

Network Adapter MAC Address (3 points)
Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
IDE Adapter
RAM Amount Range
Processor Type
Processor Serial Number
Hard Drive Device
Hard Drive Volume Serial Number
CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Murray

Status