Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP 32 bit on AMD Turion 64x2 - Mouse coursor freezes intermittently 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnis

Technical User
Aug 27, 2005
DE
Hello,

I have a parallel installation of WIndows XP Pro 32bit on my Toshiba Satellite A215 with AMD Turion 64x2 processor. The first operating system is Windows XP Pro 64bit... and with it everything works perfect, but under XP 32bit the mouse coursor freezes each 4 seconds for about 0,5 seconds and it's pretty disturbing, because this interruption is of course happening also when a program runs... I have to mention that I have an integrated ATI Radeon X1200 graphic card. The graph of system load (which can be seen in task manager) indicates indeed a very high processor load when the mouse freezes...
Can anybody give me an advice on how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Donnis

What type of Mouse are we talking about?

In 32-bit (x86), have you tried uninstalling it via Device Manager, rebooting, and letting Windows rediscover it? Many hardware devices need different drivers between 64-bit and x86.

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried Safe Mode, or Normal Mode, but as a different user?

Mouse cursor freezes completely, mouse still works - xp driver prob?

xp freeze troubleshooting
thread779-935320

Actually I'm just using the touch pad of the laptop, no external mouse. I will check in the event log, I could also post it here... and I will also try the safe mode. I will let you know.
Thank you for now for your answer.

Good chance it's a Synaptics touchpad, try loading the software (get it from the Tosh site)

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I have installed the Synaptics touchpad driver, but no improvement...
What should I try now? It's very disturbing, I cannot really use my laptop because of this problem...

Thank you in advance!

Donnis

The graph of system load ... indicates indeed a very high processor load when the mouse freezes

The mouse freeze sounds more like a symptom rather than an issue in itself. From Task Manager, Processes tab, click on the CPU column header until it is sorted descending, what process is using the most CPU time when the freeze occurs? The System Idle Process should be consuming almost all the CPU time.

What was the result of the Safe Mode test?

Also try the Safe Mode option "Enable VGA Mode": Starts the computer in standard VGA mode by using the current video driver. This option helps you recover from distorted video displays caused by using incorrect settings for the display adapter or monitor.

Thank you linney for your sugestion. I tried to start in VGA mode but no change - problem still there.
But ... I'm happy, I've solved my problem! Following the idea from freestone, I've checked the process list and:
the freezing problem was caused by the "hotkey.exe" process which every 3-4 seconds has increased the CPU load from 0-1% to 35%! Indeed, the System Idle Process had the value 98 (%?)on the CPU column, but every 3-4 seconds it was decreasing to 63 and the value of the process hotkey.exe has increased fro 0 to 35!!! I have stopped the "hotkey.exe" process and after that I have uninstalled the hotkey utility and now everything is working great!
I'll give a star to freestone for his idea!

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back