Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP 2600+ Power Supply Info Needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirrorMimic

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
Thanks in advance for reading and for any help you can provide.

I've purchased my XP 2600+ but I'm really unsure about the power supply I ordered. All of the info I have found on the power supply says it supports AMD K7, but doesn't mention the XP specification. So I'm wondering if I ordered incorrectly, and if I should look for a power supply that actually specifies Athlon XP. (I'm guessing they are different, AMD doesn't seem to specify themselves on their website.)

Manufacturer Info for the Power Supply I ordered :

Thanks,
Kyle

Thanks, I wasn't really worried about having enough power, just if it was XP 2600+ compliant. Alot of them, as well as the one I linked to, say P4 ready, but don't really talk about if it is Athlon XP ready. I'm guessing from your post you mean it will be ready for my processor, so thanks!

Kyle

The reason for them not mentioning Athlon is because it's only the P4 that needs an extra cable, so ALL good PSU's are "ATHLON" ready by default and those with the extra power cable are in addition! "P4 ready"
Nice choice of power suppy BTW, good quality and plenty of power should last through a few upgrades. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

It looks good. Usually P4 compatibility is concentric with Athlon XP. My only advice is to consider using a CONTINUOUS power power supply and the Thermaltake doesn't say. Dual fans are a good sign though. I had a hard drive fail in the summer and and wierd things happen with a good 300 watter. So I switched to a 400 watt CONTINUOUS power supply (dual fan) and have been OK. After years of being cheap, I have come to the conslusion to buy smart BUT get a great power supply and highend QUIET fans both on the processor and case. The cooler everything runs the better. I have 9 fans within my case and I don't have a gamer machine.

The chart posted by bmac50 is interesting, but I would say, multiply by 1.8 if you use the low side. If you estimate from the high sided of each device, you should be more than safe.

Finally, the unit you are looking at is listed at 52 bucks though Pricewatch.

Thanks for clearing that up! That answers all the questions I had. I ordered it from Mwave for 52, plus some shipping so I feel that I found a decent deal. Very good forums you guys have here, quick and clear responses. I'll be sure to visit here more often.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back