Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP/2000 wrkst's connecting to NT4Server under workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTEM

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

After finally getting NT4 Server up and running on a Poweredge 2400 I am having a few problems getting clients to browse shares on the box.

Currently I only want to use it as a stand alone, while I find my feet and we have only about 5-7 computers.

I have setup shared directories on the box, and added permissions to user groups I have setup with access.

The server joins the workgroup okay, and when one of the workstations doubleclicks the computer they are presented with a login - I type the username and password setup on the NT box:

username
password

When I hit enter it refreshes and adds the client pc's name before the username.

workstationpcname/username

but it does not login. If when on the server, I browse to one of the shared directories through network places without giving me, the admin, permissions in user manager it doesn't let me access. But when I do, it does (without having to login - but I am already looged in to the system) - so that part is working, but why are the computers on the network having issues?

I am very new to server software let alone NT4 so would appreciate the help :)

Dan Morgan -

In addition if I use the servers default admin login from another workstation it logs in fine - just not when I add other users.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Morgan -

Hi,

This seems to have worked itself out after a random sequence of reboots.

However, when I set the "User Must Change Password at Next Logon" option, they are always advised that the old password which they are promted for when asked to change, is wrong - I had to disable this option in order to let them login.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Morgan -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back