Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xon Xoff - Comm Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Who knows something about Xon Xoff ?<br>

<br>

I have to write a Program which uses the CommPort (Xon Xoff !), but I dont know how to react if an Xoff/Xon charakter is send to my interface.<br>

I have done serial communications apps using the MS Communications ActiveX control. Add this registered ActiveX control to your project. Consideration should be given as to which class the control will be declared in (e.g. Mainframe, View ) because the message handler for the control's CommEvents will have to deal with the incoming data from the serial port and you will have to do something with that data (e.g. store it in the document class). I used it in apps that did not require the doc/view architecture, so I put it in the Mainframe of an SDI. To answer your question, you will not have to worry about Xon/Xoff characters because the MSComm control is handling all of that for you in the transmission flow control. You will have to be familiar with the VARIANT data type to deal with the data passed to/from the MSComm control. There is documentation available in the MSDN help files. Search on &quot;MSComm control&quot;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back