Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xntp not updating date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudek

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
MY
Hi there,

I have configured 2 servers running on Solaris 2.6, one as a ntp server and one as an ntp client pointing to the server.

The thing is, when i first started up the ntp daemons on the server and then the client, the time on the client server synced with the time of the my ntp server.

However, i adjusted the date on my ntp server to a few weeks back, i.e i changed the date from 7th July to 1st June. Now, after 6 - 7 hours, the time on my client is still not changing to the new time/date on the ntp server.

The question is, how long should i expect it to take to sync with the date of the ntp server that i just changed?

Thanks,
JD

Restart the ntp daemon at the ntp client side and sync the date.. - Hemant

>>Restart the ntp daemon at the ntp client side and sync >>the date..

Does that mean that every time i change the date on the server i need to restart the daemon at the client? I need to know this cos i am planning to have 20 other clients to sync with the server.. and it defeats the purpose if i need to restart the daemons on the clients every time i change the date on the NTP server i configured.

Thx,
JD

Try setting up a cronjob on the clients that will rdate their clocks with the server during the wee hours of the morning. If I remember right, ntp will only sync hours, minutes and seconds to the hundredths of a second. Dates are set with the rdate only.

But the question that hits me is why are you changing the date on the server so much?

U r right wolffemann. NTP will not sync the date.
At each client, setup a cron job which restarts the ntp client and rdate's the date.

Regds,

- Hemant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back