Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML/XSL 2 SQL SVR - Making the right choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkemac

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2003
ZA
I have the unenviable task of taking a huge XML document and converting it into a client statement that is in HTML format.

In order to get off on the right footing, there are some questions I need to ask before taking the plunge. (I use VB6 as my development tool)

If I leave the XML file intact, am I :-

* Able to extract this information and "save" it into individual client files ?(It's no good to have other clients information in the same file).

* Is it a wasted step to extract and save this information into SQL SVR per client ?

* If I need to extract a particular clients information from the original XML file, how do I pass it a parameter like a client name or number ?

* Should I use XSL somewhere along the line ?

* If so, can I use XSL to create what would look like a printed client statement ?

Thanks for any light that can be shone on this ...

>> In order to get off on the right footing, there are some
>> questions I need to ask before taking the plunge.

Not sure if I agree with that. Perhaps if you need to work with XML and some of it’s related technologies, you should start at the beginning and learn about it using tutorials and examples first. After you have gained some understanding then you can begin to consider some of your problem domain specific questions.

The problem is when you ask questions about which you have to foundational knowledge someone will give an answer that you won’t understand. So you’ll have to post back with “what’s that?”, “How do I do that?” type of questions.

No I’m not using my crystal ball, I’ve seen it way to many times before. [lol]

-pete

Simply, I need to establish that what I want to achieve is in fact possible - without spending time on what might end up to be a wild goose chase. Yes, I am prepared to learn, but I also have a time constraint.

To reiterate, I have an XML file that contains the information of many clients. I need to create individual statements in HTML format that can be printed or email. Will XSL allow me the functionality to do this and create forms in HTML that allow me to place things like addresses, contact names etc outside of the body, which would be a table of transactions ?

Will XSL do the above ?

Thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back