Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML Schema importer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ediav8or

Programmer
Jul 22, 2004
US
When attempting to import an OAGIS XML schema into a type tree, I receive the following warnings just prior to generating the tree. The tree however does get created, it's just that when I do an analyze on it, I receive about 1200+ warnings. What do these warnings mean and how will impact my use of this tree?

WARNING (1)[Construct [xs:any] has been detected. This construct is not fully supported in the current version of the importer]
PARSE STACK:
[xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:import] [xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:complexType{ name="UserArea" }] [xs:sequence] [xs:any]

WARNING (1)[Construct [xs:any] has been detected. This construct is not fully supported in the current version of the importer]
PARSE STACK:
[xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:import] [xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:include] [xs:schema] [xs:complexType{ name="Signature" }] [xs:sequence] [xs:any]

WARNING (6)[Abstract element [] was detected for which no substitution elements were declared. The element will be described in the type tree as a plain text item]
PARSE STACK:
EMPTY OR NOT AVAILABLE

It looks like your schema contains an xs:any which is not fully supported by the schema importer so it may not have created the type tree correctly.

janhes is correct. You get the "Able to read plain English" award for today. :)

Unfortunately, the XML "standard" is a moving target. No sooner that we create software to support it, someone changes it again.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

BocaBurger,
You know what the standard is before it is implemented. The importer should be able to keep up with this and you should issue it to customers when the new standard is implemented.

I was hoping that there would be more to explain than the obvious -- something like a possible workaround for when the xs:any appears in my schema. I do appreciate the responses though. What I am hearing however, is that Mercator cannot keep up with emerging XML technologies.

Ascential can keep up, but it takes quite a bit of time to write the code, send it through Q/A and our release engineering departments. Also, there are XML types that can not be processed by the importer, since they are basicically defined as "undifined until run time". There is no way to do this with a type tree, since the tree is a definition of the data.
The "work around" for any tree is to modify it yourself. The importers are just shortcuts. You can manually create a tree for almost any data. Ascential has a group that creates the trees for EDI etc.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back