Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML not working in IE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiel2001

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
US
I have a site member who is running IE 6 both at home and at work. When he is at home, he has no problem accessing the XML/XSL pages at the site, but at work it always (every XML/XSL page without exception) results in an error message as follows (below) Anyone have a clue what might be causing this problem? (Keeping in mind that the pages all seem to work fine otherwise except this one machine at his work)

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Access is denied. Error processing resource '

Codefish --

Thanks for the info (I had already read that thread). The problem is the page contains no special characters and works in just about everyone's IE6 copy I know of except this one person's IE6 he has installed at work.

In fact, he was having problems with IE5.5 and the site at home so we had him upgrade to IE6 at home... it now works at home. But this error message persists at his office even though he's running the same verion of IE there.

I would think that if it were a global problem with IE (like characters it can't present) then it would be broken everywhere and not in just this one instance.

Is anyone aware of a browser or system preferences or security setting which might interfere with XML/XSL or something else that might be specific to a machine?

I found the problem...

I had both the XML pages and the XSL transforms inside of the member area of the site (password protected) -- It seems that for some users their IE6 borwser would not supply their user name and password to retrieve the XSL page -- thus the access denied problem.

So... I moved the XSL stylesheets outside the member area and placed them in a public directory on the site and it fixed the problem.

I suppose that given the XSL pages are pretty useless without the XML data and scripts needed to fill them out, it shouldn't matter that they are not password protected.

Anyway... there's a heads up for anyone else who might have a similar problem.

A ha!

Now I know why the user name and password was not working.

For the benefit of those reading over my shoulder... in order for the XSL pages to work in IE 6 within a password protected area, the user much allow cookies from the host web site... even if the site uses no cookies (mine does not). Enabling cookies from the site fixed the problem with the permission denied errors in IE 6

Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back