Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML Newby has hit a road block

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjev

Technical User
Jul 20, 2010
CA
I'm creating an RSS feed for work from scratch, using only my Vista machine's built-in XML editor. I've tried to open a file with a sequence like this one below. I've left out the preamble about rss and xml versions, as that's worked out fine in other files.

<item>
<title>TELUS investment expands wireless service in Gulf Islands - June 22 2010</title>
<description>Telus extends services to islands off BC's coast</description>
<link></item>

I've checked that the link works by itself, but can't find any error in the code. When I open this file, I get the following error message.

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/sarah.jevnikar/Documents/RSS Project/troub...

<link>--...
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

thank you tsuji. I thought I'd written the link in the form of the first method you'd given, but where had I gone wrong?
Would the second method be better for longer links like this one?

>I thought I'd written ...
apparently, yes?! If that is an yes, I have no idea.

it turned out the method with the brackets worked really well. I rewrote my whole feed using it in fact. Thanks tsuji!
Is there a way to create a signature at the end of each RSS post? My intention is to tell subscribers to the feed to contact me with comments/suggestions or to report a broken link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back