Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

schick

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Here's what I know:
We are going to convert to .NET
We would like to use XML so we can eventually provide data to PDA's
Our clients will use IE 6.0 (not for PDA's)

Also, should I ditch html and buy a book on XHTML?
My goal is to buy a couple of WROX books that will get me up to speed.
Any suggestions?

A book on XHTML might be handy, but in all likelyhood you'll be taking XML data and using XSLT to transform it into HTML or XHMTL (your choice). It's good XML practice to use XHTML since it will be a well formed document (all open tag have corresponding close tags, etc.). It truth there isn't a lot of difference. If you know HTML, XHMTL is pretty easy.

Most XML books out there are pretty much the same IMO. I'd highly recommend the XSLT Programmer's Reference (latest edition is 2nd IIRC) from WROX. Lots of good stuff in there if you need to be using XSL.

If you're headed into the land of .NET - you should probably spring for a book on the .NET version of whatever scripting/programming language you'll be using (VB or C# maybe?). The boys at MS changed the rules in several places to make .NET work. If you're company will spring for it, the Visual Studio .NET environment is a nice thing to have (and I don't often compliment Microsoft ^_^).

Uura
~~~~
"Common sense tells you that the world is flat."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back