Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XML as a database replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalanche333

Programmer
Sep 25, 2007
CA
I am looking for an API that can work as a database replacement. Key features I am looking for in this tool include:
- Generating unique ID's when new records are added (like an IDENTITY in MS SQL Server, or Autonumber in Access)
- Ability to add, update, delete records
- Ability to retrieve records (less important as this is already very easy in XML)

Please give suggestions and links. Maybe even start a disscussion as to why you think its a good API to use.

Thanks,

I'd recommend using a database, personally. XML is slooooww.

-------------------------
Matt Grande
C# Master.
Ruby on Rails Admirer.
ActionScript Student.
JavaScript Hate-Monger.

Why you say XML is slow? It depends on what you are doing.

There are big benefits to be had working with one data format throughout an application. With relational databases a lot of time and effort is spent mapping data to objects and then mapping those objects to something else.

In terms of database API, I love eXist(open-source native XML database). Also I love Orbeon forms.

eXist + XQuery + XSL + XForms is the way forward.

Jon

"I don't regret this, but I both rue and lament it.

Thats why I say its depends what you're doing. XML is not slow per se.

A good native XML database (eXist) will have similar speed to relational database and better in cases where you are returning highly structured data.

Accessing small flat XML files will also be quicker than accessing a database.

Jon

"I don't regret this, but I both rue and lament it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back