Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.XLS files open as Text (tab delimited) ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksirvent

Programmer
Mar 8, 2002
GB
I have several .XLS files with .XLS extension.

However when I open them with Excel, change anything and try to save them, the dialog box has the file name field in Quotes like this "MY FILE.XLS"
and the
SAVE AS Field has TEXT (tab delimited) (.txt)

I don't understand what's wrong, as I supposely opening an Excel file (at least they all have the extension .xls and I know for a fact they are XLS files) however Excel is interpreting these files as text.

Even on some of them, I get the dialog box to convert a TEXT/CSV file to excel format...

Other people in my office have opened these files and they do open correctly so it is obviously a problem with my laptop.

For your info, I had to reinstall MS Office Professional 2000 again today as it was not working well.
The instalation was perfect, no errors, and then I started getting these problems...

Any ideas ???

Check for an add-in that might be causing this.

Or check for a macro that is resident on your personal.xls file

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

thanks, but Ive done a seach and personal.xls file doesnt show up....no add ins ib eleive as I just reinstalled excel...

Take a look at Tools>Options>Transition tab see what it says in the "Save Excel Files as" box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back